1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 algebra objectives

Discussion in 'Primary' started by misconception, Jan 12, 2016.

1. misconception

misconception New commenter

Just brushing up on subject knowledge in advance of teaching this topic but I am finding it difficult to distinguish between the objectives:
    • find pairs of numbers that satisfy an equation with two unknowns
    and
    • enumerate all possibilities of combinations of two variables
    Can someone help me by explaining what is the difference between the objectives other than the second one requires 'all possibilities'.

Thanks

2. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

Hi,

I would guess it's something like this:
    • find pairs of numbers that satisfy an equation with two unknowns
    So, take 2t+5 = p

The children could then find pairs of numbers that satisfy that equation. So, if t=1....p=7, or if t=2...p=9 and so on.

For this:
    • enumerate all possibilities of combinations of two variables
    I'd say it's things like the classic flag colouring activity. Ie how many different ways are there of colouring a flag with 2 colours. Or (and this came up in a sample test today), 'Fred has 2 coins. He flips one and it lands on a head. How many combinations are there.'

I hope this helps.

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2016
  3. star9

star9 New commenter

For the second, I have also see ? x ? = 24. Find as many possibilities as you can to make this correct.