1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 after the sats

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, May 4, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

So guys, I might be being a bit premature, but what's everyone doing with their year sixes post sats? Are you scrapping Lit / Num? Is it topic work all the way? I'm a first timer and clueless! lol. Thanks!
  2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

So guys, I might be being a bit premature, but what's everyone doing with their year sixes post sats? Are you scrapping Lit / Num? Is it topic work all the way? I'm a first timer and clueless! lol. Thanks!
  3. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Although I love the idea of scrapping literacy and the marking that comes with it, you can't really get away with not teaching a core subject!
    I do projects in literacy and investigations in maths. I try to broaden their understanding and delve deeper into things they already know in maths, rather than move onto KS3 stuff as some teachers do. My friends in secondary tell me they hate it when children come to them in Year 7 with "we've already done that at primary school!" and I can see where they're coming from with that.
    Literacy is usually a project that can be tied into their topic work, linked to the performance or a project on Shakespeare if I haven't covered him yet this year (as is the case this year [​IMG])
    After SATs I don't stick rigidly to 5 literacy lessons and 5 maths lessons a week, as the topic work that has taken a back seat comes to the fore, plus there's performances, sports week, creative arts week and all the other summer stuff that takes over.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

A couple of years ago when I had a Year 6 class post SATs we did projects. I class did Escape From Kraznir, another did 'WWII' using Goodnight Mr Tom & both classes made board games for Maths, which we then self assessed by spending a morning playing them in the hall.
    Another school I've worked in got children to choose their own topic based on a 'decade' sofor example music from 1960s, fashion in the 1960s, cars from the 1970s etc.
  5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Unfortunately I have year 5 too, so it's pretty much business as usual in English and maths, although the year 6's get a little more leeway and have some mini topics to cover, including planning and catering for a party for a member of staff who is retiring after 30 years ( plenty of maths and writing in that!)
  6. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I don't mean in terms of going over the same old stuff. I certainly wouldn't spend more time going over place value or column addition as they know it and there's nowhere else to go with that.

But there is certainly opportunity to increase breadth and depth of understanding in other areas. I'm probably talking more specifically about Maths, as that is my subject area. I love the Summer term after SATs because we have time to relax and have fun with Maths rather than just moving "up" on to the next thing. For example, you can revisit reflection and rotation in terms of patterns. This can also include angles and measuring, programming (e.g. LOGO). They may have already grasped the concept of rotation, angles and turns but this gives them an opportunity to apply it in different (and hopefully challenging, if it's been well thought out and planned) ways.
  7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

We do plenty of the 'fun' activities too but I am very lucky with my maths set this year. The last Practice SAT paper we did I had 15 children score 5a. They can't wait to look at L6 type work.
  8. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

omg feeling very overwhelmed by this thread! Anyone know any good websites I could look at for ideas? I've got nrich but that's it. I wouldn't know where to start having not taught year 6 ever before! lol!
  9. In Numeracy I always give my children the 'Holiday Project' which I have posted on the resources section today. The children have to plan a holiday for me and my family according to a very strict set of success criteria. They love it and I find it actually 'hits' a lot of the numeracy framework strands. Last year I was so impressed by a suggested trip to a French Chateau I nearly went!
    In Literacy I always start a production and have found Ravensbeard Productions (just google it)very successful and popular with children and parents alike- last year I did 'Murder at the Hotel Crumhorn' which was great fun.
  10. Hi
    If you go to my original posting and click on the green 'naff ' it will take you to the resources I have posted. Look in the post SATs section: the project is called "holiday time'
    Hope you can find it!

11. Hi
    I always start with giving the children brochures (the people in Thomas Cook look very excited when I collect every brochure in the shop!). Hand them round and just get the children looking through them and discussing the numeracy that is evident. I do then allow them to use the ICT lab- like you it is hard to get ICT access a lot of the time so in class I allow children a set amount of time at my own computer whilst I go round talking to other children about their work.
  12. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Thanks naff - liked the maths aswell!