1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 after half term

Discussion in 'Primary' started by esiuol2008, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hi,
    This is my first year in year 6 and was just wondering what people do during this half term. We have the end of year production, but other than this what do people do so that the children are not wound up like tops for the next 7 weeks? Do you continue with numeracy and literacy etc?
    Thanks in advance

2. We plan for end of year production, but we most definitely continue with maths and English every day.

I start looking at the Level 6 objectives for my more able but I still have plenty in my class who need lots of number work and problem solving as well as plenty of children who need more focus on sentence structure and things like that, so I will focus on that as well.

I know there are maths and English projects some people do but I continue as I have, otherwise they will have gone too long without structured lessons and would go into Year 7 not as prepared as they need to be.

3. Thank you for your reply. That is what I am concerned about. Also, they don't realise that they actually prefer to keep working!

4. You've answered your own question.
    Absolutely. Just because the tests are out of the way does not mean the learning should stop. That would send a very poor message about the value of learning in that it is only for the tests. To avoid them becoming wound up, share the plan well in advance so there is not an expectation that things would be different. I'm sure they have special days to look forward to which can go onto the calendar but you need to keep the structure as normal as possible.

5. Exactly.
    The difficulty is the lack of structure, or normality, with fitting in play rehearsals etc.

6. Thank you both very much for your help and ideas. We have a camp on the Scilly Isles and the usual transition days which cut rehearsal time really short, I am carrying on with my topic from last half term, as the children are fascinated by it and so the literacy will continue through that, which should make it a little less disjointed.

Thanks again

7. Hi
    I'm really interested in the New York Cops investigation, would you be able to give me any more info?

dizzy1st13@hotmail.com

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Just Google New York Cops Maths Investigation and you'll find lots of links.