1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 2020 end of year assessments

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Empsallwalker, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Empsallwalker

Empsallwalker New commenter

Hi.

Now that our Year 6 pupils have returned to school, I am being asked to assess them using historic SATs papers. I just wanted to check whether any other Year 6 teachers are being asked by their schools to assess Year 6 pupils in this way?

2. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

No!
    Why? For what purpose? The last thing the secondary school wants is test data, they want finally to be able to set realistic targets of their own. For your own records? There are no league tables this year, there will be an empty space where your statutory performance data should go on your website. Everything is wrong with the end to their primary years for this Year 6. We are doing a bit of transition work, some nice topic work, brushing up their basic maths and English skills, a few problem solving challenges to exercise their brains and planning a safe, socially distanced picnic on the school field.

3. blushingberry

blushingberry New commenter

Absolutely not! Poor children.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have been asked to provide predictions of where they would have got to under normal circumstances, this is being collected by the local authority for EYFS, Yr 1 phonics, Yr 2 and yr 6.

andthentherewerenone likes this.
  5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Definitely not. There's no purpose to this at all.
    We're doing lots of reading, discussions, brushing up calculation skills, PE, art, some transition work and a different short topic each week.

6. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

One very good teacher I knew disagreed with using any past data to assess children at high school, instead believing in a 'clean slate'. Arguably, children made a lot more progress before we started measuring that progress, especially when staff on here complain they are given totally unrealistic targets based on how they did in a French test 5 years ago...ok, that might be an exaggeration.
    At the very least, parents might want to be warned about this, as they might be angry the government said no test, yet Jonny has gone home and told them he did a SATs test, as any Year 6 pupil would realise he was doing. This obviously depends on what kind of parents and pupils you have...

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I can understand that a school might want some assessment data for this year for it's own records. There is nothing in the OP's post to suggest the data is going out of school.
    We have been asked to assess our children in order for SLT to see what's what and where the children are at.

Plenty of children on a diet of 'wellbeing' and 'transition' activities will love a nice quiet 45 mins sat doing a test paper on their own.

andthentherewerenone likes this.
  8. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Pointless. Absolutely pointless. Just flatly refuse.

9. Empsallwalker

Empsallwalker New commenter

Some interesting points. I too expressed my displeasure at this and I also suggested that if they were intent on going down this route, that parents should be informed. They eventually agreed to inform parents. They have told me that the data is required to inform the school improvement plan and parents have been informed that it will be used to inform them how they can help their child prepare for secondary as well as to inform any secondary schools directly should they want the information.

I am going ahead albeit under obvious duress which has been expressed to the SLT.