1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 - Year 6 transition

Discussion in 'Primary' started by carbod, Jun 27, 2015.

1. carbod

carbod New commenter

Struggling for activities for transition to Y6 with class already taught further down the school. Any ideas please?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well you need to get them ready for the level of work in Year 6 and if you already know the class a perfect opportunity for them to review their progress over the past year.

I'm teaching Year 5 (well at least I presume I am) and I will do 'ordinary lessons' as I will be doing next September. So a comprehension, speaking and listening discussion (balloon debate) and a writing task about their progress this past year and aspirations for next year, including outside school activities.

Maths will be to introduce them to the weekly Number and tables tests and then one day basic number and the other prob looking at data. Then Foundation one-offs as preparation for next year eg map activities for Geog, looking at an artefact for History and probably some sketching outside if it's fine for Art.

It's mainly about setting out my expectations. Oh and possibly decide on some 'agreed' class rules!