1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 5 water and rivers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jubilada, Feb 3, 2010.

1. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

This is perhaps not what you are lookig for, but there is a great musical resource - Riversong, which is a collection of songs and narration following the journey of a river. The songs are modern and every class I have taught them to has loved them. It is published by Golden Apple, and comes with good CD demo and backing.

2. www.learnanywhere.co.uk have really good powerpoints that I linked into from tes. They are based on QCA unit. Have a look in the resources bank and they should be hiding in there somewhere.
    I have copies somewhere if you get really stuck. PM me your e mail address and I'll forward them to you

3. We do this as a long unit too and I always thought it was really boring, but last year we jazzed up our scheme of work by making it cross curricular with our art topic. We did a watercolour landscapes unit where we looked at lots of river features and then used them in our paintings which the children really enjoyed. We also did a poem called The River's Story about a river that gets more and more polluted as it gets to the town and produced a huge piece of class art (not part of the watercolour topic) that showed the river's journey pictorally. Although we're not based in London, we used the Thames as our focus river and did lots of photopack activities etc. I got lots of pictures of different parts of the Thames from the source to the mouth and the ch had to order them across the table, with labels for the features they could see in the photos. I took pictures of this and the class art to go in their geography books. I think I've got some web links for resources saved somewhere. You can PM me your email address if you want any of these resources or plans [​IMG]

4. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

Haven't taught this for a while but I used the website below and the class loved it.
    http://www.sln.org.uk/trentweb/
    It is based on Fergal the frog taking a journey along the River trent :)

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

That sounds lovely.