1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 tests too darn easy!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by razziegyp, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Is anybody else getting really fed up with the supposed lack of progress made by Year 6 pupils because the end of Year 5 voluntary Sats paper are so damned easy? My pupils all came up as apparent geniuses in both English and Maths, but when I gave them a real past Sats paper, in October, they all scored at least 2-3 sublevels below what they'had supposedly achieved in Year 5. And now when I go to enter their current levels for the end of the autumn term on Pupil Tracker, they all look like they've made absolutely no progress, they're still behind what they were in the summer and I've done absolutely nothing- when in fact I've worked damned hard to bring 'em up to where they are now!! It makes me so mad!!
    Right...rant over...thanks for listening!!! (But I'm still mad!)

2. Is anybody else getting really fed up with the supposed lack of progress made by Year 6 pupils because the end of Year 5 voluntary Sats paper are so damned easy? My pupils all came up as apparent geniuses in both English and Maths, but when I gave them a real past Sats paper, in October, they all scored at least 2-3 sublevels below what they'had supposedly achieved in Year 5. And now when I go to enter their current levels for the end of the autumn term on Pupil Tracker, they all look like they've made absolutely no progress, they're still behind what they were in the summer and I've done absolutely nothing- when in fact I've worked damned hard to bring 'em up to where they are now!! It makes me so mad!!
    Right...rant over...thanks for listening!!! (But I'm still mad!)

3. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Yes, I am!
    I'm also fed up with staff meetings jam-packed with RAISEOnline statistics and CVA numbers that just make me want to go home and cry.
    And can somebody please tell me FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY WHY WHY is a level 3 at KS1 entered as an average points score of 21 (3b) and not 19 (3c)? It most certainly is not because "the numbers don't work otherwise." I'm totally fed up to the back teeth with being told that (some) children who were borderline L3 at best in KS1 absolutely must achieve L5 at KS2. And I have to perform that miracle in 2 and a bit terms, because it looks like no-one's made any progress with them in Yrs 3, 4 and 5. Despite nearly everyone being agreed that a L3 at KS1 isn't the same as a L3 at KS2. Parity and continuity, my ***.
    Rar.
    Back to the marking.

4. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

This is why I gave my then year 5 and now current year 6 class the 2010 year 6 SATs paper the week after the year 6s did it last summer! I insisted that their results from that were taken into account when levels were put into the tracker.
    They then did the same paper at the beginning of September and again last week so I can easily compare their levels and their progress. (Interestingly they seem to have got different questions wrong each time! ARGH)

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sooooo not just my school then!

The nuisance is I taught one of the year 5 classes last year and now teach the other class in year 6. It appears I over-exaggerated scores last year and am rubbish at teaching this!

6. I certainly agree with the overinflated results for the writing paper. If I was to use that then my class would have always gone into Yr 6 with inaccurate results. I have never used the marking scheme for the writing paper the way it recommends. I really can't see the point of teachers sending children up another year with inflated results. Who wins if they do this?!

7. manic28

manic28 New commenter

This comes up every year in May! I'm in Y5 and have been for 7 years now. I have always said they were too easy, so I mark them very harshly to bring it a little closer to my APP. I'm sure my Y6 teachers appreciate it, but I do feel guilty marking so harshly. Maybe if they just changed the level thresholds that would be enough.

I think the present tests haven't been changed for five or six years now. How often do they normally get updated? I'm sick of dragonfly-nymphs and 'Improve our Playground'.
    A ;)