1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 struggling with decimals

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Camokidmommy, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

this forum appears to be more secondary biased but I am hoping someone may help anyway!

I have a year 5 child who cannot grasp decimals, whatever I try to do to make it more simple. I have tried everything I know but they just cannot 'get' it.

The child concerned has dyslexic needs and I am wondering if this is having an effect.

Any ideas woul be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well I did reply but it doesn't seem to have posted.

Sometimes I think one has to accept that a child needs just to 'be able to do' even if they don't truly 'understand' so later the understanding can come when the penny finally drops.

I have a 'slider' which allow the children to 'move the digits right or left and then they can see for example that 1.0 divided by 10 = 0.1 or 1 tenth. shown alongside pictures it can help.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  4. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

Especially considering the dyslexia issues, I think you need lots of objects, lots of shapes, and lots of colour. Try to make it dynamic.

5. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Thank you. Here's hoping for a breakthrough.