1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 Stories from other cultures

Discussion in 'Primary' started by laurawake, Jul 22, 2009.

1. i used Rudyard Kipings Just so stories, which kind of fits but was really fun, he is english but the stories are set in another country and in the past so we have the unknown vocabulary etc. The chn went on to write their own just so stories like, how the pig got his curly tail, and how the cat got its whiskers. they really enjoyed the unit.

laura x

2. squirrel9367

squirrel9367 New commenter

We linked it with our work on creation in RE and used a variety of short stories from around the world and from a variety of cultures. WE did it as a block and it was very successful.

3. talisman

talisman New commenter

I used Parvana's Journey, a story about a girl in Afghanistan. Its by Deborah Ellis and is the sequel to another story about the same character called The Breadwinner. The A & C Black all new text resource for Y5 has a couple of sheets which use the book which is why I bought it. Its certainly v moving and quite grown up, also would be v good for talking about refugees and current news.

4. I used Journey to Jo'burg by Beverly Naidoo & really enjoyed it. The text isn't that difficult but my top set (very high ability) really engaged with it & got a lot out of it. I went a little bit off track & went into the history of South Africa, apartheid, Nelson Mandela, etc which they found really interesting. Definitely better than texts that I'd tried last year!

5. There are so many stories you can use. I used the Anansi tales and some Indian tales, but have also thought about using native American Indian tales as well. It is not the tale that counts but what sentence structure you can teach from it that counts. A long book has it problems but can be good but a short story often does not have the quality. Often plans suggest that you read the enire book to children so be careful of too many whole books in a term. Think what writing you can get from the text and that really helps with your decision.

6. Hello Laura!! Do you have any plans from your work on journey to jo'burg? Im thinking of doing it as part of my africa project in september.

my email address if you do is:
    charlenetuck@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

7. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

The book I chose as the main focus was 'There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom'. It's set in America and all the info is on the framework site as addition units for Years 5/6. The children absolutely loved it. The other texts I used was 'Journey to Jo'burg', 'The Other Side of Truth' and 'Chinese Cinderella'.
    I have never enjoyed teaching this unit in the past but was enthusiastic this year due to the fantastic texts!

8. Hiya, im new to this website and i was just wondering if you got any plans for journery to jo'burg?
    If you could email them to me i would be grateful.
    catherine.thompson87@hotmail.com
    Thankyou

9. Hello! I am trying to find some ideas for Journey to Jo'burg and wondered if you'd had a response with any planning etc? I would be grateful for any ideas that worked well! Thanks - my email is carrie5909@yahoo.co.uk

10. I use boy in girls bathroom too the kids love it!!

11. Did you manage to get any plans? If you did, would you mind emailing them to me:
    clairewoolf@rocketmail.com
    Many thanks - I'm quite stuck too!

12. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

I didn't use Journey to Jo'berg for the whole unit. In the first week I covered a range of texts including Journey to J. Using ideas from 'Literacy Time' - Summer Term - Years 5/6 - Scholastic (Number 18)