1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 Spy (Spies) Topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rustysmart, Aug 20, 2009.

1. We do a creative curriuculum and my new class want to do a topic on WW2 but that imposes on the Year 6 NC links/topics. I therefore thought I could tailor a topic on Spies to excite them but need more ideas!!
    I think Stormbreaker and the Young James Bond books will be a good starting point but need more ideas for literacy and other curriculum links. I also don't want to make it 'boy heavy', being a male teacher, I want to interest the girls too.

2. We do a creative curriuculum and my new class want to do a topic on WW2 but that imposes on the Year 6 NC links/topics. I therefore thought I could tailor a topic on Spies to excite them but need more ideas!!
    I think Stormbreaker and the Young James Bond books will be a good starting point but need more ideas for literacy and other curriculum links. I also don't want to make it 'boy heavy', being a male teacher, I want to interest the girls too.

3. What about making it more based on codes- then you can still use James Bond etc, but can also bring instructions/explanation texts into it? Letters to detectives helping them crack a code?
    You could also somehow bring DT into it by getting the chn to design/make a game involving codes? Sort of like a monopoly/cludeo type game with clue cards?

4. Great ideas Trimmer, thanks - that will give me a good starting post

5. Can anyone help - am I missing any obvious books for this topic? (Fiction and non-fiction reccomendations)
    Young James Bond Series / Alex Rider Series are the only ones I can think of at the mo.

6. how about disguises? I have also used problem solving scenarios to promote team building at teh beginning of a new term

7. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

How about this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solve-Crime-Using-Maths-TickTock/dp/1860075487/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1309290110&sr=8-8