1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 Spelling

Discussion in 'Primary' started by qpr179, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I started teaching Year 5 in September. Upto now I've been planning spelling for my average and high ability children using the old NLS year 5 objectives. The renewed strategy seems to just have 3 quite vague, wide ranging aspects to Strand 6 for spelling.
    I wondered how other teachers planned spelling? I have the NLS Spelling Bank and Scholastic Literacy Skills Spelling book which I've also used. I'm trying to teach the more able while extending the vocabulary of the less able children with words that they may not be able to spell, but may well use in their writing nevertheless.
    I also highlight words when marking their writing so each child has a weekly list of words which have tripped them up. Two or three of the weaker spellers have SoundsWrite based small group tuition as well.
    Any advice would be great. Many thanks in advance.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. So it did...! I suppose I should have known that - thanks for the link. No hard copies available though - typical!