1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Year 5 Space Dance

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon3106, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Hi all, does anyone have any ideas (or planning they are willing to share) for a Year 5 PE Dance unit? Our topic for the term is Space and, as an NQT, I don't exactly have much experience with Year 5 Dance, never mind trying to link the two together! Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

You could go along the lines of weighlessness and incorporate balloons, lifting and rolls. However, when planning dance, I find the children have the best ideas themselves. Let them have a session where they develop their own movements and phrases and then pick the best bits to put together.

3. Download some ziggy stardust and go from there...!!

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Senior commenter

Tangerine Dream cd called Alpha Centauri has great space music -

5. Do you remember that Levis advert?
    Spaceman by a band called something ZOO?

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Bowie's Space Oddity is great to develop all kinds of movement and even to tell a story through dance.

7. Thanks everyone, some nice ideas there. Appreciate the help!

8. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

'Space Oddity' is fab! Can I also suggest the beginning of 'Thus Spake Zarathustra' by Strauss - otherwise known as the theme to 2001 Space Odyssey! Or the theme to the film 'Apollo 13' by James Horner. All interesting to use, movement-wise.
    Why not get them to consider the idea of weightlessness and how it can be conveyed? Or how about looking at asteroids or space shuttles or other space debris and getting the children to think about how they move in a vacuum in relation to each other?