1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 Significant Authors Unit?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by markymark455, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm teaching this unit in the near future but I'm struggling with what to do. I was thinking of the safe options such as Harry Potter and Roald Dahl but I really have no idea where to start. I'm struggling to link in several of the objectives and was hoping someone could give me abit of help. If anyone can help and stop me spiralling into a panic, I'd be extremely grateful :)

2. Hi everyone,
    I'm teaching this unit in the near future but I'm struggling with what to do. I was thinking of the safe options such as Harry Potter and Roald Dahl but I really have no idea where to start. I'm struggling to link in several of the objectives and was hoping someone could give me abit of help. If anyone can help and stop me spiralling into a panic, I'd be extremely grateful :)

3. I did Dick King-Smith when I taught year 5. THere is a wealth of books that he wrote and many of them are accessible by poorer readers. They are also short enough to have as a class read without feeling like you are ploughing through them (can't imagine being able to get through Harry Potter, for example).
    We had "The Sheep Pig" as the class read, then read around in guided reading through some of his other books/short stories.
    There is also a DVD/Video "What's so good about Dick King-Smith" (there is also one for Dahl) that included an interview with the author himself.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I dont know what your objectives are but Lionboy is a really nice book that is well suited to Yr 5, i'd consider Morpurgo too.

5. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

Hi have you tried the Hamilton Trust plan-it is based on Roald Dahl's BFG/The Twits/The Witches and my English group always enjoy it-if you're not a member of Hamilton Trust, it costs £24 to join for each Year group, but I've always found it worth it- I know I sound like an advert, but it's saved me so much time over the years-the resources are all there too.
    Miraculously, my school have bought a school membership this year, so I didn't have to fork out.

6. I'm currently using 'Kensuke's Kingdom' by Michael Morpurgo. They're loving it. Loads of good resources out there to match the book as well, so you're not reinventing the wheel. Check out the TES resources to start, some people have put fab stuff on there. I'm using those ideas, as well as the Power of Reading type activities. The children are really enjoying it, there was a groan from them as I refused to read on today as we'd read what we needed to for the lesson.

7. I'm focusing on objectives 7 (understanding and interpreting texts) and trying to place emphasis on group work and interaction as this is an issue within the group. I don't know much about the authors you've mentioned so I might have to do some reading. I've got a lot of activities in mind, but I'm finding it difficult to stick to the objectives I've set myself.