1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 Significant Author who do you do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 241708, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

I would love the planning on Michael Morpurgo too- if you don't mind! I have been teaching him as well but when do you find the time to read a class book! It takes so long....... My email address is: olipage34@googlemail.com

Thanks!

2. I also like the idea of using the Lemony Snicket books as an alternative with my class. My Year 5s are quite low ability. Do you think they would cope with these stories? Last year we focused on Michael Morpurgo which worked well as a number of children were already reading some of his books.

3. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Anyone who wants Lemony Snicket ideas give me your email address and I'll send you what i've got. My class are mostly high 2's/low 3s and they're coping fine. Took us nearly 2 weeks to read the book through a combination of me reading to them, them taking it it turns to read a page/chapter and reading it in small groups during guided reading. They are now starting to produce so really vivid writing linked to the book.

4. We use Kevin Crossley Holland and his book Storm. Its wonderful!

5. Copies of your ideas would be fantstic Flickaz.
    email: brownj967@aol.com
    Thanks again

6. My e-mail is bonnie.birse@btinternet.com would be fab to have a peek at your Lemony Snickett planning, though my head not keen on the idea. Wah!

7. Try Michael Morpurgo or for something different Ian Mc Ewan's 'The Daydreamer' a truly superb book of short stories which appeal to girls and boys,

8. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Are you sure you're in the right profession?
    You've just mentioned possibly the best works of children's fiction ever written.

9. nmason

nmason New commenter

I agree! How can they say Kensuke's Kingdom was insufferably dull! I stick with what I said earlier, I did this my children and they loved Michael Morpurgo. I have quite a few who I've heard have asked for some of his books for Christmas. Possibly it is just your taste, after all wouldn't do for us all to like the same things!

10. We use Berlie Doherty - she has a web site in order to further info on the author, and writes about Victorian life in Street Child - linking with our topic.

11. i am just going to be teaching on lemony snickett and am stuck, please can you email me at lovingtheleastthelastandthelost@hotmail.co.uk please. Thanks

12. We are about to start Philip Pulman and use The Firework Maker's daughter. Bloomsbury Theatre are doing it and we are off to see it on Monday. Hope it will inspire all of us. I think Pulman works well as there are a range of abilities that he writers books for. I felt Roald Dahl and Michael Morpurgo would not stretch my bright year 5 , especially as I had them in Yera 3 and pushed Michael Morpurgo hard then!

13. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

Philip Pullman...Clockwork and Firework Maker's Daughter.