1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 Significant Author who do you do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 241708, Jul 18, 2009.

1. We follow Hamilton. Michael Foreman and Roald Dahl . It worked well last year and the children enjoyed the unit.

2. We've looked at JK Rowling and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone. The kids love it (as do I!!) - I kind of build the whole first half term around the Harry Potter theme - its great and relevant to the children and their experiences.

3. nmason

nmason New commenter

Like the sound of Harry Potter, do you have a class set of books? Just thinking copywrite with inspectors around! What else do you tie in?

4. mermaid

mermaid New commenter

I am at the other end of the school but if it was me I think I'd be tempted by JK Rowling and Michelle Magorian. Will they be doing WW2 with you or in Y6? If so, Magorian would be a great lead in and several of her books have been made into films. How bright are your kids? What about Ursula Le Guin or even Tolkien....

5. nmason

nmason New commenter

Think Tolkein will be a bit too much for most of mine, although definitely tempted to use the Hobbit as group reader for more able.We'll be doing the Tudors. Year 4 do WWII.

6. Class set, is a bit wishful thinking!! We have 15, so there is enough for one between 2. We've been using an approach in school given by the author Pie Corbett, which is using an oral approach to improving story telling. So, I condensed the story (Philosopher's stone) down to one page (it was hard work, believe me!) and i included all the openers, connectives, punctuation, adverbials, adjectives etc. that i wanted the children to learn, we then orally rehearse the story everyday with actions. Basically at the end, I'm looking for the children to be able to write their own story in the style of the author - obviously we do a lot of exploring the text, characters, setting etc too. I encourage the children to plan their stories with a story map, this then prepares them for later, as they often ignore the planning sections in QCAs and SATs. Overall I just find its a really speaking and listening driven approach that the children love. Also I've tried to pick texts with films (visual literacy approach) I find this really helps to get the boys involved too.
    In addition, my art - talking textiles unit links to this, as does my science (harry and his friends send children letters, asking them to solve several problems), so does much of the maths we did. I'm also going to trial a new themed unit (much of it history) about the history of castles. I've also done a few music lessons on this theme too. When we went onto instructions as our non narrative later, the children created their own potions and wrote a potion book - it was great as they could be as disgusting or gory as they liked (within reason!). Also, in PSHCE, we were able to explore lots of different relationships using this text. That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now, but hope it helps!! let me know if i can help you with anything else.

7. nmason

nmason New commenter

Thanks for that. I agree I have done tonnes on storytelling this year and it has really helped with their writing. Sounds like we have a similar style of working :) When I said a class set, I meant one between two, I'd be really surprised if any school has one each.You have got me thinking :) Just wish I had someone to bounce ideas off. Planning with NQT on Tuesday afternoon, so here's hoping!

8. Last year when I taught this, I started the topic with 'What Authors do you know about?' and the children all wrote down lots of authors, they then began to share what they read and we then select one author together for each of the weeks of the unit, the children chose Jacqueline Wilson (even though it's a boy heavy class, I was quite surprised) and we then looked at Michael Morpurgo and looked at an author that tied in with our topic; Charles Dickens. Not sure what I'll do in September as the topics have changed.

9. well, you could have a look at what i have, i dont know if it will do you any good, but it's a starting point for your discussion i suppose - you can decide whether to use it or dump it then :) let me know.
    NQT 20089, i used charles dickens for older literature unit - we looked at a christmas carol and it worked a treat!

10. Yes Bizzybia, they loved it when I did it, they really enjoyed doing it. We did Shakespeare for Older Literature which also worked brilliantly.

11. nmason

nmason New commenter

Thanks for that, lots of ideas, it is great to hear what you have found successful. As you can imagine there is lots of pressure at the moment.

BizzyBia If you wouldn't mind me having a look at your planning, I would be very grateful. If you need anything at all let me know.
    nmason@westberks.org
    Thanks in advance and thank you to all the suggestions, hopefully it has helped others too.

12. we did michael morpurgo last year, id never done it before but really got into it, as did the chn. im happy to email u planning to look at if you like?
    Laura

13. Hi laurawake

can I be cheeky and ask to see your Michael Morpurgo planning too. I am new to Year 5 in September and already beginning to panic.
    My email is themiltons4@hotmail.com
    thank you in advance
    Coppertop

14. sorry to jump on the bandwagon but im new to year 5 in sept and would love to seeyour michael morpurgo planning.
    Thank you
    jo_998@hotmail.com

15. Hello
    I would love to look at your planning if possible as I am thinking of doing Murpurgo next year!
    simoandco@yahoo.co.uk
    Many thanks and enjoy the summer break!!
    Sim x

16. Planning emailed, my contact is laurawake@excite.com I don't check TES every day so if anyone else wants the plans then email me directly for a faster reply.

Laura x

17. We did Anne FIne - Bills New Frock, novel and play version, watched a filmed version, painted in pink, and had a lot of discussions about gender and fairness. Lots of children read other Anne Fine books, reading carousel activities based on her other novels, and from the Telling Tales series (Authors talking about themselves).

18. I'm tempted to play it safe and go with Roald Dahl.

Several people have mentioned Michael Morpurgo - Kensuke's Kingdom is insufferably dull, which has tainted my views on him, and dipping into his other books hasn't changed my views. Would be reluctant to use him.

Philip Pullman - too tough for Year 5? Clockwork is amazing. Read it to my Year Sixes. Not used the Firework Maker's Daughter. Having said that, I found Northern Lights even less exciting than Kensuke's Kingdom.

19. Love the idea of using Lemony Snicket - I've inherited Michael Morpurgu Wreck of the Zanzibar which is OK but lacks real impact (in my opinion! However I loved Kensuke's Kingdom and someone else on this forum thought it dull, so just goes to show how differently we respond to books! Couln't use KK as my school uses it to support LA in Year 8!!! How annoying.). Anyway, do you have any planning aound Lemony Snicket - if you do I would be v.v.v.v. grateful to have a look. Many thanks x

20. nmason

nmason New commenter

Quick update. We ended up doing Anthony Browne's Voices in the Park (which was absolutely brilliant and the children thoroughly enjoyed and got tonnes out of it) and Michael Morpurgo using extracts from Kensuke's Kingdom (based on 100 NFWLit), reading a range of his books in Guided Reading and also reading My Friend Walter as our class read (as we are doing the Tudors).Really pleased with this unit.