1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 short stories.....Interview!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by IFF, May 29, 2009.

1. IFF

IFF New commenter

Hello,
    I have an interview coming up and have to read a story (I have 20 mins) to a year 5 class. I have a story from testbase that I have used in the past and have it scanned on to the smart board (I have it somewhere! I thought it would be a good idea to show that I take into account all learners.
    Does this sound ok? I'm assuming that they want to see how I interact with the kids more than anything. Will ask them a few questions as I go along such as 'what do you think will happen next,' 'how do you think he/she is feeling,' etc.
    If anyone has any better story suggestions would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. I don't know about it being a better suggestion, but I've used a story called 'Voices in the Park' before and it's great. It tells a story from 4 different perspectives, and allows for lots of questioning, speaking and listening and drama activities. My classes have always enjoyed this story and found lots to talk about when discussing it. I don't know whether you would see at as suitable for year 5, but I have used it with that year group and they loved it.

3. I second Voises in the Park - excellent resource - I also use it in Philosophy lessons.

4. IFF

IFF New commenter

Thanks, I love Anthony Browne books and I think I have voices in the park somewhere! I think if I had more time to do some activities with them that would challenge year 5 abit more, but in this case I just have to read a story to them. Do you think it would be ok to read to year 5?
    Any other tips would be appreciated!

Thanks xx

5. IFF

IFF New commenter

Thanks Shadowman. I think I am going to leave it as a scanned doc as don't have time to change it to word now plus all I need to do is just read the story to them. Would be useful to know how to change it to word in the future though, sounds good!
    I have decided to use Into the Forest by Anthony Browne with year 4 as I already hve it prepared.....Good opportunities to discuss the front cover, what kind of a story it will be, discussing the illustrations etc.....Does this sound ok anyone? It's my first interview in quite a while!

6. I know this is quite an old post but I would appreciate it if you could share your expertise with me. I'm currently using 'Voices' with my year five top set English class (who by the way are loving it!) and would love to know how to scan and convert it to word!
    Thanks!

7. You don't need to scan it - check out this resource it is FANTASTIC!

http://research.kingston.ac.uk/booksalive/

8. OMG! Thank you! Can't wait to share this with the children tomorrow- they are going to love it!