1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 report, ‘developing 4’ ???

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lancsHOD, Nov 9, 2017.

1. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I am tutoring a Year 5 pupil whose recent report sheet says ‘secure 4’ in reading, ‘upper developing 4’ in Maths and ‘lower developing 4’ in writing and SPAG. I’m confused about the new achievement descriptors.

The report says the descriptors used are entering, developing and secure. Am I right to think that the pupil is not yet at the ‘entering 5’ stage and that is why the report still has 4’s on it?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

2. hs9981

hs9981 Occasional commenter

Reading 4a
    Maths 4b
    writing 4c

:)

3. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

So reading is at a high Y4 standard?

4. otters258

otters258 New commenter

No. As this is a post levels assessment system (not 4a/4b/4c) reading is expected (secure) at the end of a Year 4 and the writing and maths one term behind. Maths slightly less so than writing! As you rightly say the child cannot be Year 5 entering until the end of the current term which is where you would want them to be. Hope this clarifies.

lancsHOD likes this.
  5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Every school has it's own system, we have commencing, developing, secure, advanced, deep for each year group. The expectation is that by the end of the Year an "average" child ( if there is such a thing!!) would be secure in the year group expectations, a higher ability child might be advanced or deep. However, some children will be working outside year group expectations. So a very low ability child in year 6 might be working at Year 2 developing ( but not year 2 advanced or deep as they would move on to year 3 objectives when secure on the year 2 ones!!)

Transferring from one school to another is fraught with difficulties!!

lancsHOD likes this.
  6. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Otters, that’s great thanks. This newish system takes some getting used to!

In March writing was developing 4 now it’s lower developing! Not sure if this is just finer grading used by this year’s class teacher.

Parents are seeing class teacher in a couple of weeks so hopefully they’ll get clarification then!

7. hs9981

I've taught 6-7 year old children (who in their second language) have a reading ability of a 13-14 year old.

Where would they fit on this scale?

8. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Hs, who knows the joys of fitting children to a scale!!!

I thought an ‘average’ Y5 would be entering 5 in October of Y5, what would they be in your school?

9. hs9981

What is average?

I sadly don't teach the 'little one's' any more. I did a special lesson for Halloween, but I wan't allowed to wear my mask, the Head said it was 'inappropriate'.

The data just get's made up anyway, when they don't reach the expected level.....

10. hs9981

What is average?

I sadly don't teach the 'little one's' any more. I did a special lesson for Halloween, but I wan't allowed to wear my mask, the Head said it was 'inappropriate'.

The data just get's made up anyway, when they don't reach the expected level.....

I once worked in a school where the 'gifted and talented' were assigned the honour, based on the fact that they could open their work books. This 'label' had an adverse effect on most of them as they felt 'special', so they ended up working less hard.....

11. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I am curious how different schools’ descriptors work....

12. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi New commenter

Seemingly as a legacy of the 3LoP business/the (idiotic assumption that everybody progresses on a nice straight line), many schools in my neck of the woods/of which I'm aware, seem to have chosen to use a 6 or 8 based set of descriptors - the names vary but they are usually something along the lines of
    Beginning
    Beginning +
    Developing
    Developing +
    Secure
    Secure +
    Mastery
    Mastery +
    Those schools which use 8 seem to consider a child is ARE if they are 'Secure' or Secure+ and exceeding if on Mastery.
    Those schools which only have six levels seem to consider that a child is at age related expectations (ARE) if they are on point 4 or above of their scale.

The assessments (in school - not all are reported to parents) are done at the end of every half term.
    So a typical year 5 child who was at ARE at the end of year 4 would go
    5b
    5b+ (Christmas)
    5d
    5d+ (Easter)
    5s
    5s+ (Summer/ End of year reports)

The idea being that as more of the learning objectives are taught/the NC is covered they will be becoming more secure and by the end of the year they will be able to do everything it says that they should.:rolleyes:
    Sometimes a child may already be secure on some parts of the curriculum for the new year so may start at say 5b+ or may make rapid leaps so may jump and go straight from 5b to 5d say.

Of course the problem comes when a child was not at ARE in the previous year...

lancsHOD likes this.
  13. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Thanks Oracle, the new system without levels is clear as mud to me! Especially when a child is below ARE!