1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 Recounts

Discussion in 'Primary' started by oxfordblue, Mar 22, 2009.

1. oxfordblue

oxfordblue New commenter

Hello,
    I'm about to start teaching recounts to my Year 5 class.
    Once children have had a chance to explore recounts and we have identified the features of them they will be writing a recount of either their house being bombed in the Blitz or of being evacuated (Our topic is World War Two!).
    Basically I know what I need to do for the writing part of the unit but am stuck about how to start it. I don't have any examples of recount texts at the moment and it's not a genre I'm especially confident in.
    Does anyone have any examples of recounts that I could use? Any linked to World War Two would be expecially useful.
    Any interesting ways to introduce recounts? I'm a bit stuck!
    Thank you :)

2. oxfordblue

oxfordblue New commenter

Hello,
    I'm about to start teaching recounts to my Year 5 class.
    Once children have had a chance to explore recounts and we have identified the features of them they will be writing a recount of either their house being bombed in the Blitz or of being evacuated (Our topic is World War Two!).
    Basically I know what I need to do for the writing part of the unit but am stuck about how to start it. I don't have any examples of recount texts at the moment and it's not a genre I'm especially confident in.
    Does anyone have any examples of recounts that I could use? Any linked to World War Two would be expecially useful.
    Any interesting ways to introduce recounts? I'm a bit stuck!
    Thank you :)

3. If you have access to an interactive whiteboard, havea look at the Jenny Eather website
    http://www.teachers.ash.org.au/jeather/writingfun/writingfun.html
    I use it all the time as it has loads of examples of writing for many genres, main features of that genre as well as writing frames. You can print out the examples as well if you need the class to explore that type of writing.
    Hope this helps!

4. oxfordblue

oxfordblue New commenter

Thank you for your reply.
    I've not heard of that website before, it looks like it'll be really useful
    Thanks again.

5. This is a greatresource and for for reason the computer wont let me put all the 5 stars.I think its brilliant and i have used it the children love!!!!
    JudithP

6. Hello,

Anne Frank's Diary is
    a recount

7. spmills

spmills New commenter

Hi,
    I taught this unit last year whilst in Y5. The best way I find to start a piece of writing is by acting out. Often the LA library service offer resources/led visits/activities to put the children into the mind set of WW2. The more enthusiasm you get from your children, the more imaginative they will be in their writing. Many text resources are difficult to follow/uninspiring. You can't beat a good trip and/or role play to get the topic started.

8. This website has now moved and I think it has turned into something only paid subscribers can use... any alternatives out there?