1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 5 probability activities lesson observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by littlemy111, Mar 17, 2011.

1. littlemy111

littlemy111 New commenter

I am being observed next week for maths and will be introducing probability to my year 5 class for the 1st time. For the main session of my lesson we will be learning about probability in terms of the vocab used such as certain,likely, impossible etc. I will also talk about the prob scale however not talking about numbers at all at this point (I have quite a low ability class) They will work in table groups (4's) to sort a variety of sentences according to the likelihood of them actually happening.
    This is where I am stuck. I know that my top group will work with me so I can introduce them to using fractions in prob, my bottom group will sort statements onto the prob scale, but I am having trouble coming up with a meaningful activity for my middle group to do without involving numbers. I also feel that I need something more mathematical in my main teaching bit before going onto independent activities and wondered what suggestions other people may have?
    Thanks for your help.

2. inq

inq

Could the middle group write some statements each for impossible, possible, probable, certain? They can then see if they all agree.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

4. littlemy111

Thanks for those suggestions. Those statements will certainly help. As for the middle group writing their own, it is something I have considered but I'm not sure how much "learning" they would be showing, as that is basically what the head looks for, and whether it is properly differentiated.
    Grrrrrrr my head is all over the place!

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

6. littlemy111

Thanks again. Think I have decided to introduce the idea of murphy's law and buttered toast always landing butter side down for one group to investigate, one group to work with me on fractions, one group to hang statements on a probability washing line and one group to investigate probability of winning different dice games....fingers crossed!

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Hope it goes well - Good luck!