1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5- please help!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ljjsmith, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Hi
    I've been out of teaching for 3 years and have now secured a full time post in year 5, after spending 3 years in year 1.
    I can't go in for transition day as I on on holiday so i am going in on the last day of tem. My new head wants me to teach all day. Please can you all help with fun activities to do on this day that will help me to get to know the children but not make them resent me for making them work if the rest of the school are having toy day etc.
    I was thinking of some data collection about their birthdays so could have a display with tally chart/ graph etc and all their birthdays but not sure if this is too babyish.
    Also thought about a literacy task where they have to list wishes that they would like to acheive in year 5 using paper with the school logo on it as well as maybe some circletime to agree rules. Please make as many suggestions as you can as I am wanting to start prep this week before my holiday. All ideas and comments gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance

2. Hi
    I've been out of teaching for 3 years and have now secured a full time post in year 5, after spending 3 years in year 1.
    I can't go in for transition day as I on on holiday so i am going in on the last day of tem. My new head wants me to teach all day. Please can you all help with fun activities to do on this day that will help me to get to know the children but not make them resent me for making them work if the rest of the school are having toy day etc.
    I was thinking of some data collection about their birthdays so could have a display with tally chart/ graph etc and all their birthdays but not sure if this is too babyish.
    Also thought about a literacy task where they have to list wishes that they would like to acheive in year 5 using paper with the school logo on it as well as maybe some circletime to agree rules. Please make as many suggestions as you can as I am wanting to start prep this week before my holiday. All ideas and comments gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance

3. I always get my new yr 5s to take a shield (paper template i give them), divide it into 4 sections and draw something that represents themselves in each of the 4 parts, e.g. favourite lesson, family, hobbies and what they want to be when they're older.
    This way, it's arty, so not boring, you get to talk to them first and you have an instant display for september.
    Hope that helps!

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Definitelysome circle time stuff, especially silent activities like sort yourselves into an order (alphabet, age, height), wink murder, pass a noisy thing (eg big key ring) round the circle without a blindfolded person at centre being able to point to it; do a music session (if you are confident with it), book a session in the ICT suite and have the children show you what programs they know and what they have done, can do and hope to be able to do, teach them to perform a poem (something short), try a P4C session.
    If you are doing data collection use the IWB so the children can be involved putting themselves in particular areas. Do some IWB Venn diagrams eg boy/girl/good at .....; good at reading/good at PE/good at .... etc

Be really, really firm about calling out, taking turns etc

5. I did think of the shield idea but couldn't find a shield stupidly. I don't suppose you have an electronic copy I could pinch please ;-) Do you get them to do any writing around their ideas or just draw their pictures? That would make a lovely display I would imagine.
    Thanks for your help xx

6. Google "blank shield template" and there are hundreds. They should write key words, e.g. label family or say why they want to be a milkman etc, but the focus is drawing - you can tell a lot about the emotional age of a child by looking at their drawing.

7. Some fab ideas for circle time there thank you.
    Thats a great idea about the ICT suite as I am quite worried that they will obviously be using different programs to my year 1's so that could work.
    I neeed to look into this P4C stuff, I now work in education research so have heard about it but need to do some proper, investigative work to be able to teach them confidently.
    Love the venn diagram ideas too-thanks
    I plan on being really firm with behaviour etc. Whilst on that subject though, what are great rewards/incentives for year 5?? Already thinking the normal golden time, raffle, housepoints, Stickers seem too young- is that the general feeling or should I be considering them??
    Sorry I sound like i've got a million questions!

8. I can't believe that the children have to work on the last day of the year. It seems incredibly harsh when most primary school children have toys, games and dvds.
    Anyway, I've always used a Welcome to Year whatever Passport (A4 folded in half with room for a self-portrait, loads of sections e.g. siblings, pets, friends, best subjects, worries, favourite books, colours, football teams, pop songs, TV shows, hobbies, star signs, personality type etc etc. They love filling them in and you will have plenty of useful information. They are usually incredibly honest if asked who they work well with and who they chatter with or distract.

9. Thanks - I stupidly didn't think of google lol!

10. I know Cassandra- that was exactly my thinking too. I really don't want to get off on the wrong foot if all their other school friends and siblings etc are having a fun day. I did say I could go in any day that week too. I have emailed the head again to check so hopefully should have an email on Monday or Tuesday at the latest.
    That sounds like a great idea too, do you use a passport template or just allow them to create their sections??

11. I have a template. I'll see if I can find it anywhere and, if I do, I'll let you know on here.

12. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

You could get each child to sit in front of a light source. Draw round their shadow onto a piece of paper and cut out, creating a silhouette. They could then do some writing 'Who am I?' - writing about themselves, but not giving their name - to stick inside. You could have a lift up flap to reveal their identity. Alternatively they could make a decorative frame to place the silhouette in.

13. I've uploaded my passport template to resources. It's in KS2 Citizenship/transition
    It'll be accessible in about an hour. There are loads of great transition ideas on there that might work with your new class. Have a look at Takfam's.

14. I'm just about to go into my 3rd year of teaching Year 5. We get our new classes for half a day and I have done the following activities in the past which have worked well:
    • Going out into the playground. Chn stand in a circle and throw a beanbag. While throwing it they say the name of the person they are throwing it to (this helped me learn their names quickly!). The person who catches it then says 2-3 things about themselves. My current class really enjoyed this last year.
    • Making a 'coat of arms'. Chn fill in a coat of arms divided into 4 with their hobbies, interests etc.
    • The past two years we have also made a 'time capsule'. Chn write 3 aspirations for Year 5. I tell them it doesn't necessarily have to be about academic work. I then hide the time capsule somewhere where no chn can find it. On the last day of the school year the chn open the capsule and re-read their targets. My class last year (current Y6s) absolutely LOVED this and couldn't wait to open the capsule on their last day!

15. Someone on TES resources has already collated lots of lovely ideas for transition sessions into one booklet - nicely organised into categories with hints for age suitability. Can't think if the actual name of it but if I find it I'll post back on here...

16. Thanks guys, you are all such a great, helpful, friendly bunch. I can't wait to get back into teaching and use all these fab ideas.
    Will definitely get the passport idea from the resources and look at the other transition threads.
    Brilliant, I feel very happy now :)