1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 (or 6) - What teacher books can't you live without / would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kabak, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Would love some advice. I'm going back to my first job after having a baby and will be in Year 5 so I'm a tad anxious anyway. I taught Year 5 before so should have lots of books and resources. However, all my teaching resources failed to appear when we moved (after my belongings spent 6 months in storage in the garage of my partner's ex-wife - don't ask!!). He says he might still know where they are but he's been avoiding the issue for so long that I fear the worst. I feel at a bit of a loss without any teaching resources. I know that it will cost a fortune to replace them and besides I can't remember everything I had. It included things like specific planning resources like 100 framework numeracy lessons, to poetry or comprehension books that I might have picked up along the way second hand. I have nothing now.

So, what I'd love to know if you're a year 5 teacher (or even year 6 as this is a very able class) is: what books are really valuable to you, is there something you would specifically recommend and what can't you live without, if anything.

I don't know what resources the school has. I'm job sharing, doing 2 days a week and we won't be planning really until the beginning of the year. I don't want to leave it until then and want to have some things. I remember Developing Numeracy books were good to get word problems from and comprehension books were good to give a group an activity when doing guided reading. As I'm doing just 2 days, I'm not sure how crazy to go. I've told my other half that he has to pay but I have to keep it sensible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Would love some advice. I'm going back to my first job after having a baby and will be in Year 5 so I'm a tad anxious anyway. I taught Year 5 before so should have lots of books and resources. However, all my teaching resources failed to appear when we moved (after my belongings spent 6 months in storage in the garage of my partner's ex-wife - don't ask!!). He says he might still know where they are but he's been avoiding the issue for so long that I fear the worst. I feel at a bit of a loss without any teaching resources. I know that it will cost a fortune to replace them and besides I can't remember everything I had. It included things like specific planning resources like 100 framework numeracy lessons, to poetry or comprehension books that I might have picked up along the way second hand. I have nothing now.

So, what I'd love to know if you're a year 5 teacher (or even year 6 as this is a very able class) is: what books are really valuable to you, is there something you would specifically recommend and what can't you live without, if anything.

I don't know what resources the school has. I'm job sharing, doing 2 days a week and we won't be planning really until the beginning of the year. I don't want to leave it until then and want to have some things. I remember Developing Numeracy books were good to get word problems from and comprehension books were good to give a group an activity when doing guided reading. As I'm doing just 2 days, I'm not sure how crazy to go. I've told my other half that he has to pay but I have to keep it sensible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

3. Ros Wilson's purple book- strategies for immediate impact on writing I think it's called, and any resource linked to VCOP for literacy. I use the primaryresources website all of the time for maths- there are loads of excellent sheets and activities, as well as the TES resources on here.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I would echo looking at the TES resources - they are all free!
    You can also sign up to Teachit Primary for free and get documents as PDFs (if you want to download in other formats there is a charge).
    http://www.teachitprimary.co.uk/
    There are also a lot of resources you can download for free if you register at Scholastic.
    http://education.scholastic.co.uk/
    Lots of poems all for free:
    http://www.poetryarchive.org/childrensarchive/home.do
    Go to the other half of the site and there are lesson ideas too.
    http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/home.do
    Look at some county sites as well - they have lots of resouces and planning.
    There is so much available online that if I were you I'd wait and see what you really have to buy.