1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 'older literature'

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pink obbit, Apr 4, 2005.

1. I am planning my work for the next term and have done quite well with most types of text. However i'm looking for some inspiration for older literature. I have loads of stuff on wind in the willows from last year - i bought variuos version of the book and a tape so the chn could hear the whole story during other lessons blah blah, but it didn't quite do it for me. I would love to hear your suggestions for texts to use that may enthuse me.

For example i'm really looking forward to my performance poetry for which we are going to do work on Benjamin Zephaniah, got books, CD's and loads biograhpy/auto biography bits from the net - i think he's great and the kids last year thought so too.

2. I am planning my work for the next term and have done quite well with most types of text. However i'm looking for some inspiration for older literature. I have loads of stuff on wind in the willows from last year - i bought variuos version of the book and a tape so the chn could hear the whole story during other lessons blah blah, but it didn't quite do it for me. I would love to hear your suggestions for texts to use that may enthuse me.

For example i'm really looking forward to my performance poetry for which we are going to do work on Benjamin Zephaniah, got books, CD's and loads biograhpy/auto biography bits from the net - i think he's great and the kids last year thought so too.

3. We did the Secret Garden recently, mixing between the text and the film version, although be aware that there are some differences but this provided some good talking points. There are loads of lesson ideas etc, if you google.

4. I love this idea, but would love more info on how you did this...
    Have got hold of original and Macmillan explorers to hurry it though..Wondered how you staged it as only have the set time to do it in so can't introduce slowly. Have copy of the new film version too (radically diff!)... Any pointers appreciated.

5. Tales of the Unexpected sounds fab, but do you think it's possible to get away with it as 'older' literature?

6. I ask sincerely, since I would love to use it!