1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 - Older Literature

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Gratzia, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Can anyone define 'older literature' (unit4)?

2. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Can anyone define 'older literature' (unit4)?

3. I teach in a school in Wales where the national literacy framework has never been compulsory. We did, however, use it as a planning framework for literacy until very recently. Since the introduction of the Foundation phase into our infants dept we junior teachers have been re-evaluating our approach to literacy teaching. The upshot has been that we now have several 'literacy led' topics which enable us to teach elements of English in a more holistic meaningful way. Anyway - that does not answer your question.
    I teach year 5 and my first topic this year is any classic novel of my choice- which is older literacture by another name. I have decided on Alice in Wonderland for several reasons. The main one is that I like it and know it, I find if you as the teacher cannot be enthusiastic about a text then inspiring children is a non starter. Also it is not too difficult - some older texts are really very difficult to read and be understood by the children. The author is interesting and I have found many references to stimulating maths activities that tie in nicely. Also - and this is a big thing I think - there is a Johnny Depp film version out early next year.Yummy ha ha I will also compare it with a modern book - Coraline by Neil Gaiman, scarey and surreal - a lovely parallel.There is also a Tim Burton film version of this.
    Other teachers are teaching Treasure Island - a brilliant story especially appealing to boys. Our year 6 are doing Tales from Arabian Nights and year 3 are doing Wind in the Willows.

4. <u>Hi, as </u>my topic is coasts I am doing Five go to Smugglers Top I have taught this class before and know they will enjoy this. I have bought the CD audio story and will copy this for children to borrow as well as the video of the old BBC version of it.
    Lashings of ginger beer!!!!

5. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Thanks BarbaraLloyd and ejayc - you both had great ideas. Mine will have to link to Victorians and I was going to use Street Child by Berlie Doherty after some good ideas from an earlier post but I've been told that it was published between 1995 and 2000 so it doesn't count as 'older literature' but the genre fitted in!!! Suppose I'll have to go with Oliver Twist - workhouses/child labour and all that.

6. Dickens stories are great but so hard to read. Could you choose a victorian writer - for example Oscar Wilde. I've seen The Selfish Giant taught as a great stimulus for children writing their own versions and making them into books. And of course Robert Louis Stevenson was a victorian writer and he wrote great stories for boys. How about Sherlock Holmes? Fab stories.

7. What about E.Nesbit? Slightly towards the end of the Victorian period but still relevant. 'The Railway Children' would seem appropriate. 'The Story of the Treasure Seekers' and 'Five Children and It' have fewer social themes to tie into the topic but are still books written at the time about children of the period (putting on a clean pinafore to go to the vicar's house for tea etc!)

8. I used Black Beauty with Year 5/6 when we were doing Victorians- they learnt an awfl lot about life as a Victorian while studying it. We also used the film as a comparison. The children really got into it, and they weren't a very easy group of children to engage either (hadn't had a supply teacher the year before who wasn't very inspiring, so they had switched off!.
    I've also used Tom's Midnight Garden, and Goodnight Mister Tom.

9. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Oh dear! Just seen some great ideas but did my first weeks planning yesterday. Forgot about The Secret Garden and Black Beauty - they are both great stories.
    Don't know if I'm doing it right but for the first week (4 days) I've decided to introduce the children to 'older literature' using, The Fib (1960's), The Famous Five on a Treasure Island (1940's) and Oliver Twist (1800's). I know Dickens is hard for children but I thought they could listen to an extract from the original story and discuss the vocabulary used etc. but I also have a children's version. I also have film clips for The Famous Five and Oliver Twist. After that I'm moving on to Street Child simply because it links in with Oliver Twist, my topic - Victorians and I know the children will enjoy the story and get so much out of it. I know it's not older literature but at least the children will have experienced older text in the first week.
    Thanks for all your help.

10. Hi Barbara & anyone else that can help!
    I am a PGCE student and about to go on my final placement with a Yr 5 class. I have been told that I need to teach older literature. My class teacher doesn't have any planning & is hoping (I think!) that I can just plan & deliver the unit. I am interested in teaching Alice in Wonderland. How did the children receive the text when you taught it? Do you have an 'top tips' for planning this unit?

Many thanks
    Sheila

11. Just bumping this back to the top everyone... could really do with some help on this please..anyone?!

Thanks
    Sheila

12. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

What kind of help do you need?