1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 Numeracy objectives

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bestcoast, Jan 24, 2016.

1. bestcoast

bestcoast New commenter

Hi,
    Just doing my Numeracy planning for next week and I'm really struggling with one of the objectives:
    'Estimate volume [for example, using 1 cm cubed blocks to build cuboids (including cubes)] and capacity [for example, using water]'
    Am I missing something very obvious? I've previously taught how to calculate the volume of a cuboid but the 'estimating' has really thrown me! Handily enough, I can't find any extra information on it in the non-statutory advice.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Many thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For me, estimation is a higher level skill. Children will only be able to do it, after they've had lots and lots of practice measuring first. So I would start with that first and then get children to have a go at estimating, just 'by eye' i. e. without any measuring.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  3. bestcoast

bestcoast New commenter

Thank you! Will get some messy measuring in then - wonderful! :)

4. sulkydame

sulkydame New commenter

Log onto NCETM website. Has activities and exemplifications for many of the new NC outcomes.