1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 Numeracy Interview Lesson - Any Ideas???

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by xxclairexx, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Hello,
    I have got my first interview on tuesday and have to teach a numeracy lesson to a mixed ability year 5 class. The lesson should be 20 minutes long and can be anything! I have a couple of questions:

1. Do i have to include a mental/oral starter? or will it just be an introduction to the activity, the activity and the plenary. I was thinking Intro- 5 mins, Activity - 10 mins, Plenary - 5 mins. If i do this there is no room for a mental/oral? Any one know what is expected?

2. There will not be enough time, in my opinion, to complete a written activity, so I was thinking of doing a practical 10 min activity - any ideas?? Perhaps something on whiteboards or a game?

Really struggling with ideas. So many things to choose from!

Hope someone can help.
    Thanks.

2. Your timing sounds sensible.
    The main things to worry about are:
    1. You demonstrate could classroom management
    2. The children understand the objective
    3. The children enjoy themselves.

In your lesson plan (which you give to whoever is observing the lesson straight away) plan for behaviour managment, make it clear you plan to use praise and can direct the class.
    I'd keep it simple.Check if the school has an IWB you can show off with. It's difficult to know what they've already done, so I'd be tempted to just do something fun and interactive, like learn soduku, plot a co-ordinates picture, solve some logic puzzles or match angles.

3. Thanks for the advice.
    It says I will have access to powerpoint for any interactive whiteboard.
    I was thinking of doing co-ordinate pictures as you mentioned and to differentiate have 4 quadrants for the more able. I have done this before and the children loved it, they had to create a simple picture and then read their plotted co-ordinates to their friend and see if the picture was the same at the end. Do you think this sounds ok?
    thanks again.

4. I did something very similar recently (though it was a 30 minute lesson) and used an open-ended group investigation. I know it's a bit of a gamble grouping a class you've not met before but the lesson allowed me to have a 'starter' (modelling through some of the skills required) and a main activity, as well as setting up some classroom management strategies for gaining the whole group's attention. It also gave the children the opportunity to talk about maths, as well as using and applying their skills.

If you want a copy of the problem to adapt for your lesson, let me know:

clarinetgod@yahoo.com

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Let's hope the HT who's interviewing you doesn't read this forum...

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Or the two teachers don't end up at the same interview, doing the same lesson. One head who posts on TES got FOUR candidates doing the same lesson they'd plagiarised off TES. None of them was appointed, needless to say.
    Colleagues - you've got to plan your own lesson. Once you get a job, the head expects to have appointed someone capable of doing it for themselves - so why can't you manage it for a short interview lesson?