1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 Narrative Unit 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by indiansunshine, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Hello fellow teachers - hope you are enjoying the holidays!!

I'm looking ahead to the Year 5 Narrative Unit 1 and ideas for planning.
    I am looking to study Michael Murpurgo with the class and look at Kensukes Kingdom.

What other texts do people think will work well in this unit? Please share good and bad experiences!

Finally, at the end of the unit do you get the children to write any type of story or should it be a particular genre or linked to stories studied?

Thanks for your time and help!
    :)

2. Hello fellow teachers - hope you are enjoying the holidays!!

I'm looking ahead to the Year 5 Narrative Unit 1 and ideas for planning.
    I am looking to study Michael Murpurgo with the class and look at Kensukes Kingdom.

What other texts do people think will work well in this unit? Please share good and bad experiences!

Finally, at the end of the unit do you get the children to write any type of story or should it be a particular genre or linked to stories studied?

Thanks for your time and help!

3. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

Hi, more successful books I have used have included 'The Firework-Makers Daughter' by Phillip Pullman and 'The Ironman' by Ted Hughes. I am looking at using 'Stormbreaker' by Anthony Horowitz this time for a change.

4. Hi Indiansunshine,

I am about to into my 3rd year of teaching Year 5. We did this unit last year using Kensuke's Kingdom and it was really successful. To expose the children to other Michael Morpurgo texts, we studied a few in Guided Reading and any silent reading time was spent reading Michael Morpurgo books (I made sure I had a big selection of them in my class for children to choose from. Even my most reluctant readers engaged in at least one of the books). This way, the children were continually getting exposure to his writing style.

We did the unit in the style of Pie Corbett. We learned the story (obviously not 100% off by heart!) and drew pictures and made up actions to accompany the telling of the story. This really helped the kids learn about story structure. We then plotted the story on a story mountain which, again, reinforced the story's structure.

We also focused a lot on magpie words (Pie Corbett's term for 'stealing' good words) and put them as part of our weekly spellings. By the end the children were using words like 'elongated' in their work and a few more able children were using words like 'cacophony' - amazing! Michael Morpurgo's stories are fantastic for broadening children's vocabulary.

We did quite a lot of writing. I remember we looked at the Morpurgo's description of Kensuke, then wrote a character description about Tom Hanks' character in Castaway in the style of Michael Morpurgo. Our final piece was a story written in the style of Michael Morpurgo which the children planned in the style of Pie Corbett (drew it out in pictures and practised telling it orally before writing it).

It's a great text and we are going to do it again this year. Hope you enjoy it!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In one unit of work, will you get more than one book completed? We used Kensuke's Kingdom with year 6 (doing our own thing) and it took us three weeks.

There are loads of resources on here linked to Kensuke's Kingdom.

6. Hi, I agree with Minnie, we've done Kensuke for the last 2 years, it's great but I couldn't contemplate doing more than one book. It always takes longer than we think - so much to talk about! We have a reading challenge and they read other Morpurgo books in reading time/at home.

7. Thanks for all the great tips and hints everybody!!!