1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 mental and oral starter for interview

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by tasha99, May 15, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

I am an experienced teacher in KS1 but am desperate to get into KS2 before moving into management within the next coupl of years. I have an interview which includes a mental and oral starter for no more than 20 minutes with 15 year 5s. I am renowned for my messy and creative maths lessons and want to demonstrate how this should be continues throughout the primary age range. Can you give me some ideas of where the kids should be working at by now? General objectives and lesson ideas? Obviously I am going to research this, ask my colleagues and practise on the kids in Y5 in my school, but I am just asking you lot on TES for your opinions!

Any advice greatly received!

2. Hi guys,

I am an experienced teacher in KS1 but am desperate to get into KS2 before moving into management within the next coupl of years. I have an interview which includes a mental and oral starter for no more than 20 minutes with 15 year 5s. I am renowned for my messy and creative maths lessons and want to demonstrate how this should be continues throughout the primary age range. Can you give me some ideas of where the kids should be working at by now? General objectives and lesson ideas? Obviously I am going to research this, ask my colleagues and practise on the kids in Y5 in my school, but I am just asking you lot on TES for your opinions!

Any advice greatly received!

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

might be worth looking at the old year 5 sats type papers for the type of maths they will likely be tested on in a few weeks.
    ratio works well for messy maths!
    and you need to know which set you will be teaching, the range of knowledge is quite significant by year 5.
    If mixed ability then it is a totally different thing

4. Thanks. I'll look into ratio. And I'll ask then about abilities. I assume it's mixed though. Grrr! Any specific ideas for ratio?