1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 maths: Read and plot coordinates in the first quadrant; recognise parallel and perpendicular lines in grids and shapes

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Krayzie, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Hi,
    I'm trying to plan some activities for this lesson - thought i'd start off with them reading and plotting co-ordinates.

Trying to find some activities for the second part -- recognising parallel and perpendicular lines - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

2. Hi,
    I'm trying to plan some activities for this lesson - thought i'd start off with them reading and plotting co-ordinates.

Trying to find some activities for the second part -- recognising parallel and perpendicular lines - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

3. I fitted this in with the co-ordinates by asking them to draw and plot co-ordinates for different shapes and then through discussion of the shapes properties. Don't think it needs to be exclusive.

4. sleepycat

sleepycat New commenter

what about linking it to art and getting them to create designs using line: link it to Mondrian( thats what I did) Also did some east cut and stick pictures using black and white paper; easy - just keep reinforcing the vocab

5. Give them 3 points of a quadrialteral and the name and tell them to complete the shape.

6. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Build from your work on co=ordinates. Draw parallel lines on a grid, plot the co-ordinates and investigate the resulting patterns.

7. How can I differentiate the frist lesson on coordinates for year 5?