1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 maths lesson place value! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by hana54, Aug 24, 2012.

1. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Hi,
    I am an NQT due to start teaching year 5 in September. The first unit that I am set to teach in maths is place value. I consider myself to be fairly good at maths, but place value is my absolute downfall. I have huge trouble explaining the concept and getting my head around it- who knows why! The children need to partition 5 or 6 digit numbers into tens, hundreds, thousands, etc. and say what each digit represents in these numbers.
    Does anyone have any experience/ideas on how I could teach/explain this concept? I am having a total mind blank and am panicking! I really want to get off to a good start in maths.
    Thank you!

2. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Hi,
    I am an NQT due to start teaching year 5 in September. The first unit that I am set to teach in maths is place value. I consider myself to be fairly good at maths, but place value is my absolute downfall. I have huge trouble explaining the concept and getting my head around it- who knows why! The children need to partition 5 or 6 digit numbers into tens, hundreds, thousands, etc. and say what each digit represents in these numbers.
    Does anyone have any experience/ideas on how I could teach/explain this concept? I am having a total mind blank and am panicking! I really want to get off to a good start in maths.
    Thank you!

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

try some live action
    give pupils large number cards
    get a few to act out the number given in front of the class, then show multiplying by ten, they all move along etc.
    is it a set? I found my year 5 set 2 last year had few problems explaining this and had pretty much already grasped it. Of course they sometimes forget and make silly mistakes.
    They will probably already know the grid method for multiplication, if so, they will be using partitioning without really thinking about it.

4. Nowadays I find myself turning more and more often to multiple representation activities. How about matching sets of cards in numeric form, written words, images on an abacus, images of base 10 equipment, partition diagram... I have done this kind of thing with the class working in groups on the card sort and me calling one group at a time to my table where I do some questioning and mini whiteboard work. This helps with differentiation (as you can target your questions); assessment (as you can probe and identify misconceptions); and dealing with lack of equipment (as you can get away with one box of base 10 equipment or multilink cubes or having only a few abacuses).

5. I think these responses are brilliant ... especially that from afterdark which seems to work on all sorts of level. Oh, teachers are good people!

6. philosophically, place value is a bit of a pons asinorum in primary schools, and many kids do struggle with it - though as said, by y5 it will hopefully not be too bad - for the very good reason that, although counting is a pretty natural thing to do, and which most of us appear to be pre-wired, place value is an artificial construct to make the rest of arithmetic simpler,
    it's always interesting to check if the children are understanding or are working algorithmicly (is that a word?) - when partitioning thousands for example,try slipping in 526 and see if you get 526 = 5000 + 500 + 60
    if they do take to it like ducks, you could go right up the places - see
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/594038.aspx?PageIndex=1
    post 12