1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 5 maths interview lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kabak, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Sounds creative but has the potential for a lot of mess. Also, it would take some setting up and you may not have that long. I had an interview yesterday and literally just had enough time to put the pen drive in the computer, open my IWB file and put a piece of paper on tables.

It's good to take a risk but think about whether you can manage this. At the end, it's possible that you would be taken off straight away to the interview, leaving behind quite a bit of mess. Is there a revised way you could meet the objective.

Good luck.

2. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

As a Year 5 teacher (and obviously I don't know the ability of the class you're going to teach) I'm not sure that it might be a bit easy. Obviously this would depend on the amounts you've got in each bottle and how many bottles you're requiring them to use. I just would hate the thought of them taking one look, saying that it's that one, that one and that one and chucking them straight in the bottle. Also what happens if they get it wrong and the liquid is now in one bottle? Does it get poured back into its seperate containers? Don't get me wrong, I love the idea...just trying to think of potential problems with it to help you.

3. Thanks for the thoughts! i hadnt really factored in time to get set up etc so thanks for pointing that out i'm thinking maybe will just present the problem to them without the bottles of liquid and maybe just I have one set of them at the front which I could use in the plenary to show they total 1 litre? Also thinking of giving them 6 amounts and they have to find the 4 that will add up to 1 litre working collaboratively in small groups. I would quickly model a systematic approach to solving the problem before they start and they would do their recording on flip chart paper. Ability wise I have just been told they will be of mixed ability with levels ranging from 2a-5c so would differentiate through my questionning.

4. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Me again...am honestly trying to help. I think Level 5c will find it easy, maybe their amounts could be in litres written as decimals or even fractions of a litre which they then have to convert to ml before they can find the ones that total 1 litre.Maybe you'd already thought of doing that, I couldn't tell from your posts. Sorry if that is the case[​IMG]

5. thank you reddevil I have thought of having differing amounts which would involve them converting them all to ml before starting. thank you for all you help [​IMG]

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ask the school, in advance to sit the children in ability groups. Then differentiate by having some trickier amounts and some easier ones. Have lots of measuring jugs and cylinders (check with the school in advance that they have them and that they are available for you to use) so children can measure the individual liquids themselves and then make it up to 1l.

To be honest a paper activity would be dull and boring. So long as you have containers that are much larger than the amount of liquid and are confident enough to simply put a stop to the activity (have a plan B) should the class prove to be unable to behave, then you are better off doing the practical. If the weather is nice and there is space you could go outdoors to do it.