1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 literacy lesson for interview - EAL children and no IWB!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mallocup, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Hi,
    I've got an interview next week where I've been asked to prepare a literacy/numeracy lesson for a Year 5 class. They don't have an IWB (which I thought was unusual but hey...) I've thought I would go with literacy instead of numeracy as I'm a lot more confident with that. I've thought of doing persuasive writing and presenting two sides to an argument and getting the children to try and persuade someone to agree with their side of the argument.

The only thing is, the school is about 90% EAL and I have never had so many EAL children in my class - not sure what to expect really and how to plan accordingly. I normally use a lot of images on IWB as a stimulus to their ideas so I was thinking of taking big photos or posters.

any other advice would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers xx

2. Hi,
    I've got an interview next week where I've been asked to prepare a literacy/numeracy lesson for a Year 5 class. They don't have an IWB (which I thought was unusual but hey...) I've thought I would go with literacy instead of numeracy as I'm a lot more confident with that. I've thought of doing persuasive writing and presenting two sides to an argument and getting the children to try and persuade someone to agree with their side of the argument.

The only thing is, the school is about 90% EAL and I have never had so many EAL children in my class - not sure what to expect really and how to plan accordingly. I normally use a lot of images on IWB as a stimulus to their ideas so I was thinking of taking big photos or posters.

any other advice would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers xx

3. You have to remember that although the children in the class are 90% EAL does not mean that 90% of the class will not speak much English. It simply means that English is not their Mother tongue and they will speak a different language at home. Through my experience of having a class 95% EAL, only one or 2 children didnt understand English, the rest spoke it fluently and understood every word.

4. Cheers - will bear that in mind. I have EAL myself so I wasn't going to treat it like an English as a foreign language class, but I do think it's easy to fall in that trap.
    Has anyone else got any ideas for a good literacy lesson to do? Am wondering if persuasive writing is suitable. Am feeling pretty anxious as this is my 4th interview - have received very good feedback from the others and they've said they liked my lessons (twice now I have come second - and the only thing they said to me was that the other person had that extra something) I want to make sure I get it this time!!

5. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

I would go for numeracy if I were you...that way EAL isn't as big an issue. Maybe you could do an investigation of some kind...that way, differentiation could be by outcome (have expectations for HAPs, MAPs and LAPs though!).

Good luck!

6. I just received the letter in the post and they've said it needs to be a 20 minute introduction to a writing lesson. On the phone they said a 20 minute lesson and they probably DID say something about writing - i probably didn't listen properly because of the excitement and just assumed it'd be numeracy or literacy cos that's what they normally say! Arghhhhhhhhhh I'm going mad!! Plus I've got all my planning to do....sigh.......and the weather's sooooo lovely outside!!

7. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Okey dokey then...do you have to just do the text level bit? I presume so...

So, go through the initial text. I'm not sure whether it's perhaps a text about rubbish being dumped in the area or the amount of pollution or something like that. Or perhaps make a newspaper article up about the council wanting to knock down the school to build a new supermarket - I think they'd have loads of fantastic ideas for that!

They could then work in pairs to produce a few simple fors and againsts. Explain that they need to understand where the council (or whoever) are coming from and that is why they need to think about the fors and come up with arguments to counteract them!

I would prepare, just in case EAL or SEN children need them, some pictures - you could have a picture of the school with a cross through and then put a picture of a supermarket over the top. You could then have a thumbs up and thumbs down on a separate piece of paper and get them to come up with ideas. I think it's important for the children to get these ideas down in any way, so maybe they could draw what they think, even if they can't write.

How does that sound?

You should then obviously share the ideas at the end. Perhaps you could be the council spokesperson and they could tell you why they're against it!

Good luck!

8. If you want to do persuasion, there is always the option of looking at ads from newspapers/magazines. Still a text type, but there are other things for the LA children to pick up on, such as images and layouts. Focusses on powerful languge!

9. Hey,
    Thank you for your ideas! I've decided to do it on persuasive writing - I'm gonna get the children to think of ways of advertising two different products: sweets vs fruit(which I'm going to take with me) I am going to split the class in half so each side has either a fruit or a sweet, and they have to convince me to buy one or the other. Have planned for a game at the beginning where they have to describe it using all their senses followed by lots of speaking and listening, and then at the end they have to write a sentence using really amazing vocabulary and we will compare both sides of the argument. I think it sounds OK and hopefully it'll work!! I have asked the school if there's any allergies, etc and asked them to get the kids to wash their hands before coming in!

10. Hi, I know we are going back a few years here, but do you still have the lesson plan for this? I have an interview on thursday teaching year 5 literacy so would really appreciate it if you could send me a copy of your plan?

11. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

It;s supposed to mean that, but it might not even be that!

When I was training, one of the boys in one of my classes happened to be the son of a friend. Although they are of "foreign" ethnicity, my friend, her husband and all her children were born in the UK, educated in the UK and barely speak their "mother tongue".

Yet the boy's SIMS entry had him recorded as EAL.