1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 lesson for interview - please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by salltv, Jun 13, 2018.

1. salltv

salltv New commenter

Hi I have an interview next week and have to teach a I have to teach a writing lesson to Year 5 on the use of figurative language. I only have 30 minutes and no TA. My idea was to use song lyrics for the children to identify similes, metaphors, hyperboles etc, but I am stuck on what to do for a written task and how to differentiate and pitch it. Has anyone done anything similar before or anything else that has worked well? I have been teaching younger years lately and out of practise for KS2. Thank you!!

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

find the song or poem that you like and can sell to the children, the rest will probably follow
    focus on scaffolding the task to allow all to access the same task rather than uber differentiation, that seems to be the current thinking around here.
    and have a next step/challenge for the top lot based on the main task rather than different
    sorry if i am teaching you to suck eggs.
    pupils pair discuss and find the examples you mention
    "consider the impact on the reader"
    take the example and make it stronger perhaps? or change the word order to try and increase the effect?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.