1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 legends unit ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hannahmarie23, Jul 24, 2018.

1. hannahmarie23

hannahmarie23 New commenter

Hello!
    I’ve been told I am in Year 5 in September and have never taught upper key stage two before. I am a little stuck on the “set text” part for the Legends unit. I did Beowulf in Year 4 otherwise that would have been perfect. I would be very grateful for any ideas.
    Just to put it into context, we are a one form entry school and teaching has been very traditional in that they do a lot of genre based teaching rather than using a text to teach several genres.

Thank you

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We have done 'the legend of Robin Hood' (can't just remember which text at the moment) and 'the legend of King Arthur' (Past and Future King). Easy to work in News reports, Biographies, Poetry, Letter writing etc in.

ViolaClef and hannahmarie23 like this.
  3. hannahmarie23

hannahmarie23 New commenter

Great thank you so much for your answer! I’ll look into these.

4. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

we did "Outlaw" by Michael Morpurgo this spring with Year 5. Worked very well.
    Good story, good pace and language.
    One of those time travel (did he didn't he sort of things) well linked to the classic Robin Hood sagas with some good twists.
    Once I get back to school (locked out for cleaning and builders for a while) I will quite happily send you our planning

https://www.michaelmorpurgo.com/book/outlaw-the-story-of-robin-hood/

upload_2018-7-24_19-59-41.jpeg

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

and incidentally, we did it immediately following Beowulf, which I did not quite agree with but hey ho.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

How about looking at some non fiction biographies? Emmeline Pankhurst, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King? Real life legends?

8. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

"How about looking at some non fiction biographies? Emmeline Pankhurst, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King? Real life legends?" (see above)

'Legends' isn't about real llfe!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.