1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 interview lesson observation on Monday- with EAL etc?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by treespirit, May 21, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I have a year 5 lesson observation on Monday and am not sure what to do with the kids.
    "Your lesson shoudl be differentiated to meet the needs of pupils with a broad range of ability and a number of pupils with EAL and should have a literacy or numeracy focus".
    I rang the head and while she didn't tell me the languages they speak she did say that there are 8 EAL that can apparently access the curriculum, 7 SEN (3 school action), 50% at or above national levels, 50% below.
    I was thinkign of maybe pulling together a character description lesson, or even acting in role as a police officer to solve a crime, the children having to use evidence to make a conclusion but am not clear about the possible objective. Any one have any detailed ideas? I haven't worked with Year 5 for a while and basically my creative impulse seems to go out the window whenever I am preparing for a lesson ob!
    Be great to hear your ideas,
    x

2. Hi treespirit,
    I like the sound of the last idea - solving a crime. Could you create a quick authentic-looking front page of a newspaper with the crime details, then have some photo-fits for suspects that your police officer colleagues have passed onto you. The objective could be to understand and use 3D shape language, with the details in the paper describing the shape of different parts of the possible suspects bodies, and children have to understand the language to draw/identify who did it? The answer would then obviously link drectly to 1 of the photo-fits.
    Perhaps create challenge by descriptions not being exact/clear or using incorrect language to describe, which would then allow the children to explain their choices and thinking.
    Hope this makes sense and maybe gives you a few ideas to work with.
    I did a similar lesson with able Y1 children, with basic 2D shape language (the Head's jewels had been stolen from the safe) - they drew the suspects then matched to photos (a bit like guess who). They loved the lesson and it was practical, allowing for discussion and extension through questioning throughout the lesson.
    Best of luck. Hope I get my thinking cap on for my Reception interview observation on Tuesday....any ideas obviously greatly appreciated!

R x