1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 Interview Lesson Advice

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by cselway90, Nov 17, 2013.

1. cselway90

cselway90 New commenter

Hello,

I have an interview next week for a Key Stage 2 post. In my interview I have been asked to choose an area of Numeracy that will need to be taught to a group of 6 Year 5 children for 20 minutes. I have chosen to concentrate on the area of measures, as I think this will be very practical for the children, but I am having a bit of trouble where to start with my activity.

I want children to measure accurately to create a string stick man from measurements that they have been given. The teaching being that we are thinking about how we measure accurately and what tools it would be appropriate to use. E.G A ruler or a metre stick. I feel that this is too simple though and was wondering whether to bring conversions into this activity and get children to convert the measurements for the stick man before they start measuring and building him. My problem with this though is that I only have 20 minutes to do this in and I don't think there would be enough time to do all of this during that time.

Should I concentrate on the conversions or just the accurate measuring? If I just concentrate on converting measurements how can I make this meaningful for children?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

2. In theory, Year 5 children should be able to measure accurately although you may have a low ability group. It would be useful if you can find out their levels to give you more of an idea if you are pitching your lesson appropriately.

To make it more challenging you could get them to measure to the nearest mm or as you have said give them the measurement in mm and get them to convert it to cm (say that the measurements have been muddled up and need sorting out) which is L4 skill.

If you have any really able children (L5) they could convert from imperial to metric perhaps.

I hope that helps.

3. cselway90

cselway90 New commenter

Thanks for your help. Your suggestions are similar to the route that I have decided to follow. The main bulk of the activity and teaching will focus on converting measurements, but they will need to do some measuring and I plan to briefly go over how we measure accurately.

I have been told that the children are middle ability and according to the school website converting measurements is a topic that the children will be touching on this term.

Thanks for your help, it has helped me define the level I will pitch the work at.

4. why only 6 children, if you don't mind me asking?

5. cselway90

cselway90 New commenter

The post I have applied for is an SEN post where I will be working with groups and on a one-to-one basis with children so I'm guessing that might be why. :)

6. bear in mind then that that might find the construction of your string man difficult even once the measurements have been made - you may need a separate scaffolding for getting the bits in the right place