1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 Instuctions (last NQT observation)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ERU, Nov 26, 2011.

1. ERU

ERU New commenter

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Hello all,

I've got my last NQT observation Monday and i'm looking to get outstanding. I
    normally get good/satisfactory.

I have a bright yr5 class with some varied SEN needs. So far I've already
    played 'barrier' games and setup an obstacle course which the chn guided a
    blindfolded peer through.

Does anyone have any good ideas, resources or tips?

I’m very aware that the chn have completed instructions pretty much every
    year – so will be looking at ideas to ensure it is a year 5 specific. I don’t
    want to be delivering a year 4 lesson that is only differentiated by outcome.

Thanks I advance.

2. You would need to take previous learning into account to get a good or outstanding in my school. What are the next steps in their learning? And yes, that will have to be differentiated.
    Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that the lesson plan/ideas will give you an 'outstanding' lesson - it is about the quality of the learning that the children are doing.

3. ERU

ERU New commenter

I guess that's what i'm looking for ideas for. It's still early days in the topic so determining the actually next stepps is what's got me thinking.

4. mindthegap

mindthegap New commenter

I have asked my year 5s to consider what are the features of good, clear instructions. we made paper lanterns as a whole class. Very simple, just folded A4, scissors and glue. Gave my lower ability half of the class some easy to follow instructions with pics and clear instructions. Others had deliberately wordy/ unclear instructions. Half the class made a lantern quickly and easily. the others struggled. we then displayed the instructions on the IWB and analysed which set of instructions were clearer and why. Had lots of fun, but you need to brief the children that they may not all be able to produce a lantern, and that the finished lantern is not the end product/ purpose.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Presumably you will be working towards writing instructions? what are the things your class are not good at and focus on learning those skills. Instruction writing is just the context.

In year 2 we spent about a week on S&L instructions activities and reading and following. Then I gave different groups the same set of instructions but set out very differently. They had to follow them to colour a picture correctly. Then we looked at which were easier to follow and why. Eventually I modelled writing instructions clearly and we highlighted all the good features and then they wrote their own.

Year 5 should already know the features of instructions and ways to open sentences for instructions. They ought to be looking at sentence structure, vocabulary and punctuation to make instructions ultra clear. Have a specific skill as your LO and then work back from that to the activity.

But as someone else already said a great activity will not move you from satisfactory/good all the way to outstanding. Get a copy of your school's observation criteria and make sure you can tick all the outstanding features in your lessons in the run up to the observation as well as on the day itself.

6. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

I quite agree with this - an outstanding lesson cannot be planned in a vacuum. However, sometimes a good resource can fire you up and you then teach with energy and passion. I've just done some work on non-fiction writing and we used the film Tadeo Jones - watched the part where he had to cross the fiery chasm and then wrote instructions for the guide book about getting across safely. You can find the film on www.emmarogers.org.uk. Although it is there as a narrative unit, the film works well as a stimulus for non-fiction writing for UKS2.

Good luck - and hope you enjoy the film!