1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 help!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by davidcharles1, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm sure you will be fine. I would suggest that you plan for differentiation though.
    Over the years I logged every new differentiated activity that I had used. I now have a compendium of over 200 of these that can be found at teacheractivities.co.uk if you fancy.
    Very best of luck

2. Thanks, I'll take a look. I know differentiation is really going to be the key this year but it's difficult when I know that my school use the optional SATs for Year 5 and really the main majority are just not at the level to access some of that curriculum yet. I'm hoping I can rely on my APP grids as evidence instead!
    I could have wrote your message myself Roddy! That is exactly how I'm feeling, particularly the part 'I'm also wondering if children may miss out on specific things I really should be covering with them in Y5. An example of this would be that the lower ability would need to look at protractor use etc as part of the Y5 curriculum, even though that's not what a typical 2C child would ever do.'
    I am such a perfectionist and I just so badly want to get things spot on! I think I'll go along the same lines as you; assess to begin with, then use objectives from different year groups where appropriate. We've got a lot of work to do this year!

3. P.S- Roddy, can I just ask what type of assessments you had in mind to complete with yours? I was going to do a times table quiz to assess which tables need work and perhaps a mental maths style test to see if there are any gaps there. Aren't I nice... tests in the first week back!!

4. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

Frankie....your post about 'being a perfectionist and wanting so badly to get things spot on' sounds so much like me!
    I was going to assess their place value by using a game to begin with (can send resources if you like) to see how they are at actually knowing what each digit in a number actually represents (will be good to begin with, as this will feed directly into unit A1 next week). I was also thinking of doing a general times table test, perhaps a general mental maths test also, spelling test including personal bug-bears of mine (e.g. their, they're, there etc) as I will want to teach those who don't know how to spell these or it will genuinely annoy me haha. Also going to do lots of PSHE in the first few days to see what they're like in general and how they relate to each other and will try to hear them all read before they go home for the weekend. Going to be doing some literacy to introduce poetry (although we're going to perform - which is not in the unit) and also some PE, if possible.
    At this stage (with PD days on Monday and Tuesday) I've decided just to collect a bank of activities/ideas together for what to do on Weds/Thurs/Fri and not plan them until the evenings, this week. Didn't see the point of going in for these PD days and then having to scrap everything I'd planned as the school may tell me I have to do X, Y and Z!

5. Like you, I am doing lots of PSHCE day 1, then getting straight into introducing the topic, literacy and numeracy on day 2. For numeracy now I've planned a day of open ended activities to show me what they can do, then a session of more formal mental maths and times table tests. (I think I'm going back to the Year 4 set for mental maths as a starter so hopefully can identify gaps through that).
    I've planned roughly what I'm doing for the week after for Numeracy too, but left some flexibility to differentiate depending on what I find this week.
    Now trying to get ready to plan literacy... I am also planning poetry! (We are moving away from the framework so I'm also in the same boat!)
    Good luck with the INSET's! (P.S- I have PMed you my e-mail- if you could send me that game resource please, that would be fantastic!)

6. I would definitely use your assessment (APP or whatever) as the starting point for your teaching and differentiate the teaching according to that. So when you are teaching a topic in maths, track the area back and forwards so everyone is making progress at their level. As for things like using protractors etc, there are lots of ways that these can be incorporated in learning for everyone - interactive games etc on the whiteboard/laptops can allow children working at lower levels to become familiar with protractors fairly simply. Also don't worry about not being able to use protractors in year 5 optional sats - your app assessment should reflect the true levels, not a test, and in any case, not being able to answer a protractor question only really costs them 2 or 3 marks - don't teach to the test, teach them what they need to improve their maths. I'm going back into year 5 after years in year 6 - I have a wide range of levels, so I am going to focus my teaching pretty closely linked to my asseessment and make my maths planning (be it framework or whatever I choose) fit into what they need. Maths is my weakest area but I am going to treat it like I do literacy and cover different areas starting with what they know and building on that. As a year 6 teacher, if my class came out of year 5 with solid kowledge of number calculation strategies and good sentence structures, I'd have been laughing!
    In terms of planning, although I know what I'm doing this week, I haven't really planned literacy or numeracy proper till I get a feel for where they are and what they need.