1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 Geography Help!

Discussion in 'Geography' started by Justyw, Jul 18, 2007.

1. I have a bit of a strange query and wonder if anyone can give me some help.

I am taking over Y5 in Sept and my geography curriculum is causing me a few headaches. 2 areas in the scheme are map skills and local environments. I have decided to combine the 2 and have some ideas of lessons: making tactile/emotional maps, using Virtual Earth, and some thinking skills type stuff with 'living maps'. Obviously I will be doing the more practical straight forward looking at scales, map symbols etc too.

My problem is trying to find a line of enquiry to follow. I want to put the topic together under a geographical question but my brain is end of term dead.

Any ideas very gratefully received!

2. I have a bit of a strange query and wonder if anyone can give me some help.

I am taking over Y5 in Sept and my geography curriculum is causing me a few headaches. 2 areas in the scheme are map skills and local environments. I have decided to combine the 2 and have some ideas of lessons: making tactile/emotional maps, using Virtual Earth, and some thinking skills type stuff with 'living maps'. Obviously I will be doing the more practical straight forward looking at scales, map symbols etc too.

My problem is trying to find a line of enquiry to follow. I want to put the topic together under a geographical question but my brain is end of term dead.

Any ideas very gratefully received!

3. squirrel9367

squirrel9367 New commenter

I teach year 5 and am a geography co-ordinator. One topic we did this year was Old Portsmouth that incorporated map skills.

I can send planning if you leave email.
    The children ended up by designing a trail (showing features of interest) around Old Portsmouth for a history teacher visiting from France. They used keys, symbols and grid references on their trails. Perhaps you could do something similar for your local area. They also had to plan an itinerary for the family taking into account each members different interest using the internet to find out what facilities/ attractions there were in the city.

Have fun
    Squirrel

4. Hi Squirrel - that sounds great and would be very grateful for anything you could send me. I am in Worcester so very touristy too.
    my email is:
    walkerjusty@aol.com

5. Hi Squirrel

This is just what I was looking for too. Any chance I could be a pain and ask you to e-mail it to me too.
    DebbieClucas@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

6. hi - message for squirrel.

i have taken over geography coordination in a primary school. it seems to have been rather neglected in recent years and is often taught as a discrete subject by a ppa cover teacher (partic in KS2. i have encouraged staff to look at objectives and use them in conjunction with literacy / science etc to enable more in depth exploration of the subject. however, my recent work review brought to light quite a bland and uninspiring approach to the subject. do you have any tips on resources / planning / policy / approach that could help me to resolve this problem and turn around current attitudes to the subject? i'd be very grateful for any advice! many thanks.

7. squirrel9367

squirrel9367 New commenter

sorry computer has been broken over summer! At least it meant I couldn't spend all my time on it.

Will attempt to send planning but I am at school so it might not work.

As for tips for being a co-ordinator. I only took over geography two years ago and was definitely not an expert (I gave it up myself at 13). The staff had tried to rewrite the medium term plans but we were bogged down because we couldn't unravel the nc.I booked a morning with our geography inspector to get me started and he was ace (Jeff Stanfield if you are in Hampshire). He was really inspiring and made us focus back on 'real geography in real places' and child centered learning. He believes skills should be taught in context and not as dry 'skills lessons'. We have taken this on board in my year group and taught map skills including scale, grid references etc through our field work. I am currently 3/4 of the way through rewriting everyones planning which I have been given a group of staff (1 from each year group) over 6 staff meetings to help with. Some year groups have started to use the new plans but it is in a transition phase with hopefully full implementation this year. Then I'll have to review how it went! This has certainly raised the priofile of geography and what is meant by good quality geography. (Jeff says quality not quantity!.We are only planning 2 main geography topics a year and then incidental geography is going to be planned in to link where good things are already happening. Next summer I am planning an Olympics week which will be cross curricular but will have a lot of opportunity for geography.
    The only downside is that real geography in real places means getting out and about. In my school we can get away with quite a lot of trips but I know some schools would find this hard. There is still a lot you can do on site- playground rivers for example if you don't have a real river.

8. Hi there,

I am a student teacher ad reading your post I just wondered as you seem very confident anf your ideas seem relevant to what I am doing I wondered if you could also send over the plan to me? I live in telford and for one of of university projects we have to do a cross curricular medium term plan, well for History, Georgraphy and possibly RE anyway. I have chosen to do Blists Hill museum in Shropshire, which has the obvious links to History in KS2. But as I am not experienced in cross curricular planning am unsure how and what to use for geogrraphy ? I was thinking about maybe doing a locality study i.e. compare victorian town to the children's urban telford town? But really unsure how I would teach this as it has be squeezed into a 12 hr plan consisting of both history and geography objectives. Also was thinking mapping skills which is what you have covered too but again I am unsure where and how I would fit it in to the MTP. Although the RE is not compulsory I was thinking about introducing the Quakers? What do you think? would this be Ok for Year 5? I would really really appeciate any help you could offer including the plan of locality study and mapping skills if you have any including resources. Thanks a million in advance. Sam xx

9. Hi
    Ive only come across your post now as i am taking over as geography coordinator next year and was searching for any tips?
    Look forward to hearing from you
    Si