1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5 class. Abilities range from Y1 - Y7

Discussion in 'Primary' started by onmyknees, Nov 18, 2015.

1. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

How do different schools/ individual teachers manage this? If children are in Y5 but working at a Y2 level, is it correct that they are required to work through the Y5 curriculum?
    Is that how it is being interpreted everywhere. Surely it can't be right? Our gaps are widening!!
    Is that what's happening in other schools?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Certainly the givt expectations are now for 'age-related expectations. However my understanding is that we do not 'push children on' (as we did with levels) but add breadth and for children performing at a lower level we teach Year 5 curriculum with lower age expectations.
    Anyone have a different take?

3. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

I'm seeing kids who need to be consolidating number bonds to 20, being given non- differentiated work on say, division with remainders, the same as everyone else in their year group??????

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm assuming you are criticising a colleague's practice, sine you are saying this is something you see.

What makes you think they need to be doing number bonds to 20 (for a the zillionth time) when everyone else is doing division?

5. summlard

summlard New commenter

I don't get what schools are finding so difficult about this?

Just work through the the year group objectives and then differentiate according to the class.

Eg in a division objective, upper children can do the method with harder numbers, missing numbers, worded problems etc differentiating down to simple divisions for lower children. Overall, everyone is hitting the same objective.

6. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

No, of course not. But they should be getting rapid and effective intervention.

The point of the new mastery approach is more than children in Y2 who are not securing the Y2 curriculum should be supported to do so at the earliest opportunity so that you don't end up with many children in Y5 working at Y2 level. Of course, you'll never eradicate that entirely, but certainly just giving them work they cannot do won't help.

QknightyQ likes this.
  7. teacherman2

teacherman2 New commenter

Like your response michaelt1979. However, is that just for numeracy or literacy too?

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

This whole kind of argument seems to be rife across the country now and makes me alternately want to laugh and cry. The national curriculum is setting out to schools something that they ideally want the vast majority of children to be able to do by the end of year 6 and they are leaving it to the discretion of schools how they do this, but pointing out that it's best not to create huge gaps along the way (sound teaching principles - nothing new at all about this). They are also saying that it's a new slim curriculum, so there should be scope for doing more than is set in the curriculum documents.

Instead it has turned into schools and local authorities standing on their heads working out how not to accidentally or on purpose teach some year 5 maths in year 4 or some year 5/6 English in year 3/4.

All it shows to me is that discretion is a bad thing if schools can't use it.

9. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

I would argue that it is for both English and Maths (I never care for the n/l words), but it is explicitly explained in the curriculum documentation for Maths.

10. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I think it's clear that you are not expected to teach a child with very low "levels" at the moment a curriculum that is way beyond them. It does not say this anywhere in the document. I think however the document is implying clearly that schools have a duty to try as hard as they possibly can to get a child who is so far behind in year 5 up to "standard." Of course it depends on the causes both internal and external to the child and the circumstances of the school how far this is actually possible.

The national curriculum document taks about the "majority" of children working at the same pace or some such words. But it's a national curriculum. The word majority applies nationally, not within a school or a particular classroom. Also, it is a very grey word.

I feel that there are a lot of epople working hard nationally at the public's expense to misinterpret the new national curriculum - I don't mean individual teachers- they seem to be doing what they are told to do but many seem to be being told things that do not fit with the NC document. There are things in our local authority area that are produced by the local authority that do not fit with the new national curriculum.

Thanks to people on here who have helped me understand it better myself. There are of course areas which are always open to interpretation but being told to teach year 5 maths to a child at year 2 level is not one of them.