1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 5 and punctuation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by saf_nqt, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Hi guys, for ppa I'm covering year 5 and the teacher wants me to do punctuation. It's a long session of just under 2 hours.
    Does anyone know what I need to cover in year 5? or if you teach year 5 what areas do you think i should focus on?
    Don't say ask the class teacher because that is the problem!!! She keeps saying punctuation!!!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Why not write a very short story - taking care with key punctuation - and then turn it into a very short play so that then have to learn the correct punctuation for playscripts. If you have time you could choose some for the children to rehearse acting out some of the best plays.

3. Would you write the story for them to punctuate it?

My lower Y5 would probably work on capital letters, full stops, question and exclamation marks.
    My middles would work on all of those along with brackets and commas for lists
    My tops would work on all of those plus commas for clauses, semi colons and speech.
    Saying that, we're all going to revise speech soon as they seem to have forgotten how to set it out. I find my class are great at punctuation exercises and they absolutely love them but they forget it all in independent writing.
    Two hours is a ridiculously long time though. I think I would try to break it up as much as possible. I would do quite a bit of shared reading and hunting for punctuation in a text (like the original Literacy hour used to ask us to do all those years ago!), then I would do lots of whiteboard work where they try out different punctuation marks before having a go in exercise books.
    Mine like using a nicely coloured gel pen or pencil for punctuation exercises and they also enjoy trying to spot the comma or spot the exclamation mark when I'm reading aloud.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

You could start with a formal dictation to get them in the mood and remind them of the rules, I suppose.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

You're covering PPA. Are you getting PPA yourself?
    Sorry if this appears twice - it didn't seem to go through the first time.

6. Thanks teacher1974, that is very helpful.
    Inky- our headteacher is very clever and our ppa is between 9:00-9:30am. Which is a useless time because you can't really plan anything in half an hour and spend most of that time getting resources ready for the class your going to be in. Hence why now i'm planning at 8:30pm in the evening!!!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Do you know for sure which class you're going to teaching and when, and are you given a subject/topic/whatever to teach that you have control of? If so, are you able to deploy TAs as you wish?