1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5/6 spelling

Discussion in 'Primary' started by susanrk, Aug 23, 2011.

1. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

What does anyone use to improve spelling in upper KS2 classes?
    Many thanks.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Would love to hear ideas too! Have 3 poor spellers but suspect they have dyslexic tendencies. Nevertheless, trying some strategies wouldn't hurt.

3. Oooh me too. The ability levels in my class are extremely varied and I would love some strategies for improvement too.

4. I got some books from whsmiths that have a spelling list for each week, along with a page of activities using those words. They were only about 3pounds, simple paperback ones but the children in my year 5 class love them. I have also done anagrams with the words, hangman and wordsearches, and these have all helped improve spellings in quite a weak class. Hope that helps! I'm not sure of the names of the books as they are now at school, but they were White paper covers with a blue section down the left hand side and they go up in stages.

5. You need to be systematic about this - it is no good throwing enough mud and hoping some of it sticks!! [​IMG]
    I use the Alpha to Omega programe - it is a dyslexia friendly programme originally designed for secondary schools. It has built in spelling assessments which then set where the starting point is for the child. In my old school we assessed the whole of KS2 using the tests then set them in spelling groups across the school - can be done just as easily in a class - once you know what the gaps are you can teach spelling lessons that actually fill the gaps. Alpha to Omega goes all the way from the intial alphabet to a spelling age of 15 so can cover everybody.

6. That system sounds great, is it a bought in thing? Unfortunately our school has no money whatsoever to get anything in at the moment.

7. You can buy the teachers book from Amazon - it's about 20 pounds but will cover all the spellings you willneed.

8. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Ah yes, alpha to omega. I have these sitting on my bookshelf. Might be worth a read now. Thanks for the reminder!!