1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5/6 problem solving activity on street party for the jubilee

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KateReynolds, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Different groups need to plan different areas.
    A group needs to wrok on seating layouts considering space and ease of movement. Is there a buffet table? How wide is the street? The table? Scale drawings
    Another group on food. They wodul need access to internet to price food items.
    Another group on drinks. How much does one person drink? How much squash and how much water.
    Anotehr group on disposable crockery and cutlery! Pricing and best value packs
    Another group on decorations
    They need to have a fictional street to supply numbers. How about poe from a TV programme that they all watch? They will need to provide several optiuons to the whole committee and be able to present these.

2. Absolutely if this will help engage the children. They could use the street their school is in but this would not work for my school. I was simply trying to make it relevant to them. Or if they have done a recent town comparison study, they could use that location to provide a street.It is about tweeking it to fit your situation- I cannot know that for the OP.They would need to do a drive by to check the locality- hopefully they got to see this when they looked round.

3. Thanks like the idea of different groups doing different things and proposing to the comittee at the end. Because of the time element and explantions didn't know whether to give them a budget and different options - can they organise the street party within budget and have money left over. Not sure on groupings-know they are mixed ability but school won't give me a class list.

4. I would have one activity planned for less able and one for more able and the rest mixed. Then when you get there, ask about the groupings and if there any extremes at either end and put them in the appropriate groups. Mixed ability is great as long as the less able are realy learning from the brighter ones and not just sitting there doing nothing.
    Go prepared for all eventualities and if you do not have to use those bits, talk about them in your interview so they can see that you were ready and can be flexible as the aim is to give each child a succesful learning experience where they move on from whatever point they are at. Of course we are all much better at this if we know the class but we can show that we are aware and able to plan for this even in an interview situation.