1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 5/6 planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ROLLING, Aug 5, 2011.

1. hi would someone be kind enough to show me their planning for year5/6 maths/numeracy- the school i am starting at does not have a planning format for weekly plans and i am now stuck as to what to include etc. (i have my medium term plan for y5/6) i will be new to y5/6 after being out of teaching for 5 years bringing up my family and i really would like a pointer in the right direction. i have tried to look on the web but cant find anything for y5/6.thank you

2. hi would someone be kind enough to show me their planning for year5/6 maths/numeracy- the school i am starting at does not have a planning format for weekly plans and i am now stuck as to what to include etc. (i have my medium term plan for y5/6) i will be new to y5/6 after being out of teaching for 5 years bringing up my family and i really would like a pointer in the right direction. i have tried to look on the web but cant find anything for y5/6.thank you

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Planning is for YOU, so if there's no format to follow make up your own planning including details rrelevant to you.
    For me I'd include a section on lesson objs & success criteria. Previous knowledge (which I would assess in the first week/day of any week- to highlight any gaps), any relevant vocabulary to make children familiar with, I'd also have a box of children to observe any days, SEN needs (include details and give copy to TA if you have one), any particular ?s I want to ask & then the usual starter or introductory activity / main section with HA, LA or all/ most/some or can/ should objs.& any plenary ?s etc. Most important an evaluation section for me to write notes on things to change as I go.
    Many people would envy you the freedom of being able to design your own.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

5. thank you- many people probably would like my freedom but I am one of those scientifically minded people who like things set out in black and white!! i try to be more free but its a proper insecurity of mine!

6. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Hamilton trust does really good mixed age planning. It's normally quite good in terms of content, can't think what the actual planning format is like but may give you some ideas.
    Also, the Lancs grid for learning has good mixed age planning for lit that many people on here have recommended. Not sure if they do it for Maths too but again it may give you some ideas.
    Hope that helps.

Enjoy!
    KL x

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I can send you examples of mine from last year if you like. Just to show a format. They are by no means amazing, but might give you a start.

It is good to be able to do your own, but faced with a blank sheet of paper it is hard to think of what to include and what not. I've taught maths continuously for 15 years and literacy for nearly that many, but moving to a new school with no planning format at all was still tricky to start with.

8. yes please-thank you so much. Ive hunted online and i am now bamboozled!
    enimod@hotmail.com

9. KnightRider

KnightRider New commenter

The Cumbria mixed age plans are good - you have the objectives & AfL questions side by side for 2 year groups on one page, together with references to the old NNS (which might help if you were familiar with that before you stopped). Google is the quickest way to find them.
    In terms of a planning format, I created one for my school this year, and got samples from lots of other schools. To me, the most important thing is to have space for your M/O starter, objective for main teaching and brief outline of activity, differentiated pupil activities and plenary. I can't see how you can sensibly get away without those, but schools add in things like vocab, resources, use of ICT, use of TA, assessment opportunities, focus group etc etc etc. Just put in whatever is useful to you - it's your working document to aid your teaching.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would agree with KnightRider...get the basics and then add anything else you need.

Cumbria are fab for maths and Lancashire for literacy I would say.

You should have mail!

11. ROLLING, you have mail. Lucky you I am in school still (!)

12. thank you everyone- i think i now am closer to a format!! you have all been great. x
    if anyone now wants to plan my numeracy, d+t and ict-please feel free!!

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL I could send you the numeracy I am working on for next year, but as I'm moving to year 2 it probably won't be much use!

Besides I have a Waitrose online shop to sort out!

14. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

On another note, in terms of ICT have you seen the ITASS website? They have a fully planned out scheme which is loosely linked to QCA but activities are a bit more exciting and it's fully resourced. Not mixed age planning but you could start yourself on a cycle or adapt as needed. Def save a lot of time.x

15. NO i have not but i will once i have written this- thank you.