1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5/6 mixed age planning!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crgray, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm an NQT starting my first teaching post in September and i'm very very confused about how to plan for literacy abd numeracy including both year groups objectives - the LGfL suggests a two year rolling porgramme for literacy using a mix of both year 5 and 6 units each year - using the new framework!! Does anyone do it differently? If anyone wouldn't mind sending me a copy of their plans it would be much appreciated... Many thanks!!

Charlotte

2. Hi everyone,

I'm an NQT starting my first teaching post in September and i'm very very confused about how to plan for literacy abd numeracy including both year groups objectives - the LGfL suggests a two year rolling porgramme for literacy using a mix of both year 5 and 6 units each year - using the new framework!! Does anyone do it differently? If anyone wouldn't mind sending me a copy of their plans it would be much appreciated... Many thanks!!

Charlotte

3. Hiya! I appear to be in the same situation as you although my main concern is everything but Literacy and Numeracy. I worked with a low ability Year 5 class this year on placement and found that I had to use a mixture of Year 3 and Year 4 framework which was actually quite easy to combine. Hadn't tried it for literacy though. How are you preparing for the year ahead?

4. Thought I was the only one! I'm an NQT startingin Sept with a mixed Yr 5/6 class and am also very confused as to how to plan for lit and numeracy using the new framework. I've only ever taught I year group and have no idea to be honest about where to start! If I come across anything I'll post on here - I'm going into my school next week so maybe will get some insight then but am tying very hard to stem the rising panic!

5. I've just joined Hamilton Trust for £12. They have mixed age plans for lit, numeracy and topics that you can then download. At least it is a starting point for me and will enable me to plan the first couple of weeks before I begin to really suss out what is involved

6. Most of the Y5 and 6 objectives are very similar - look on the CLeo site for mixed age objectives for Numeracy - they show you how to combine the objectives most effectively

7. I had to plan numeracy last year for mixed year 5/6 class - the objectives do match quite well between the years then differentiate by activity - there are occasionally objectives which can be hard to match up so i spend time at the end of the units trying to fit them in

8. Just joined Hamilton Trust - numeracy plans for year 5/6 mixed age class seem quite good but u must have access to the abacus programme for you to be able to implement them - am i right in saying that?

9. Hi,
    I've been teaching mixed aged 5/6 for a a couple of years now and before that both Year 5 and 6 single form.
    Cleo mixed aged medium term plans are great and match objectives for both year groups really well.
    Literacy lfgl has medium term mixed 5 6. Depends what your school does we do a Cycle A and B. Cycle A Year 5 genres and Cycle B Year 6 genres and you cover Year 5 and 6 sentence/word objectives over the two year (this is what the lfgl is great for.
    We are using the Scholastic Renewed Framework books this year and using them for mixed aged planning as combining the activities works really well.
    Important thing is to make sure you teach to the upper end of your class to prepare the Year 6 well for SATs, you'll find this actually does your Year 5 a big favour too in the long run.
    If anyone would like me to e-mail my first couple of weeks Maths/Literacy planning i'm very happy to send it (you'd need to Scholastic books to deliever it but it'd give you some ideas and could be adapted). Remember sleepless nights over planning as an NQT so i'm very pleased to help!:)

10. Hi I can send medium term plans for literact numeracy for mixed age 5/6

let me know your email address - to sazacheets@hotmail.com

11. Hi, I would be really pleased to get your planning. my first post is with a mixed yr5/6 class and I need all the help I can get.

Thank you

syrene@syrene.co.uk

12. Sorry didn't make myself clear, my last post was to Shinygoldenlady, thanks

13. Syrene, you have mail!!

14. Though not a new teacher, this will be the first time I have taught a mixed age class. I can see where to match up the numeracy, but I am struggling with literacy. I have been told to focus on Y5 as with Lit/Num the school doesn't teach on a 2 yr cycle (though they do with everything else)

If anyone has any planning ideas etc they would be gratefully recieved.

brum.green@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

15. Hi
    Just about to embark on my new experience of teaching Year 5/6. I have taught other year groups but am feeling slightly nervous about this stage. Any ideas for how to plan would be very useful and you sound like you know your stuff. My email is pj_ae_morgan@hotmail.com

16. Hi,

Just got two terms of teaching Year 5/6 under my belt (phew!) and now SATs are looming - this will truly be interesting although I have an amazing TA so I'm sure it will be OK :)

In terms of tips and things, my school has a two year rolling programme for eveything except Numeracy (for which we have bought into Abacus Evolve Mixed Age Planning which is a godsend). My Year 5s and Year 6's are quite differentiated in ability within themselves so the range across the two year groups is quite large (level 1 to level 5...) I tend to find that I just differentiate as if it was one year group, making sure that I give the Year 6's enough support for the SATs (although this will really hit home after the Easter break).

Hope this helps. Any other questions, please ask. I'm not in any way an expert but might have some ideas :)

17. Hi,

Am in blind panic! Head has JUST told me this week we are teaching mixed 5/6 class in September and although I have taught y5 lots of times I haven't while new frame work in place. Not taught y6 at all. Add to this he has also scrapped all QCA plans and is planning to move over to a new International Curriculum! So not one piece of planning or paper work in the school can be used again. Am very worried and confused, any help, words of wisdom or paper work would be very gratefully accepted. Thanks

bullock.nicola96@googlemail.com

18. I too am teaching y5.6 mixed age group so please any good new framework plans could you please forward ..
    flewis@flewis.karoo.co.uk

19. Hi,
    I've just read your post, in preparation for teaching a year 5/6 class in January with no prior experience of mixed age planning! Your tips were really helpful, and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind forwarding an example of Literacy or Numeracy planning? I know it's a massive pain, but it would really help! If there's anyone else who has example plans to offer, that'd be great!
    Thanks everyone!

Lisa

20. P.S. lisa@beda.co.uk