1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5/6 instructions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Cez24, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

Hi there
    Has anyone taught this unit before? Just wondering how to introduce it to the children- on the framework it suggests giving them some software on a computer to work out, then overcoming problems, making up own advice, writing instructions etc... Although I am not sure what software to use that they don't already know!
    Also on hamilton the plans suggest asking them to put up a tent which is quite complex as I haven't got 5-6 tents spare or the space for children to start putting these up. Although getting the children active is a good idea.... What else could the children make/ put up which is easier??
    Just wondering what everyone else used- ICT based instructions or making something??
    If you have any spare plans I could use as guidance I would appreciate it ;)
    Cheers xx

2. I did Windows Movie Maker. We made an animation using pictures made in "paint"; then imported the pictures into WMM and added a title page, credits and music. At the end of the pocess the children created an information book called "Windows Movie Maker for Grannies". The books they made were brilliant...and looked lovely on display!

3. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

great idea- thanks for that. Just wondering about using paint tho- I have been told it's not good to use with KS2 children...but worth a go I think! Love the granny book idea
    Thanks

4. Have you checked the new framework Hamilton plans? They seem a lot better than the old ones - the Instructions one in particular is very good, and my Year 5s loved it. (There was no tent erecting mentioned....[​IMG] .
    Activities involved inventing new card games, playing computer games and writing clear instructions and writing mobile phone user guides for grannies. It was fun!

5. Hi
    I have planning and loads of resources for instructions if you want to leave your email.

6. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

before the rest of the gang jump in and ask....which should happen about tomorrow might i also be sent a copy please......Im always interested in ways of tackling this area. thank you
    paul_566@hotmail.com

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

To save original poster some time what about posting in resources?

9. I did lots of origami and we did instructions for younger children on how to use some computer software. We also did a photo story on how to use a telephone.

10. Hi
    We did an activity with y6 putting on or taking off school jumper or a shoe and then another child had to follow exact instructions. Easy to do and very illuminating!