1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5/6 - Help needed for teaching Theseus and the Minotaur

Discussion in 'Primary' started by katefletcher1, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm an NQT beginning Greek Myths next week. The first myth we are looking at is 'Theseus and the Minotaur' and not sure where to start.
    Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. http://myths.e2bn.org/mythsandlegends/view_myth.php?id=563

4. Hi,

In the past I have discussed the character of Theseus and King Minos. We thought about how King Minos would feel and we put Theseus on trial for the murder of the Minotaur and 'kidnap' of the princess. The class were split in half and had to write an argument for why he is or isn't guilty. We discussed the motives for his actions and the yr 5 children got quite creative with their ideas. Eg, Guilty --> Killed the minotaur for his own glory, he abandoned princess Ariadne on an island when all she did was help him. Not guilty--> He saved lots of lives through his actions, he didn't want to marry the princess and felt pressured by her to get married! etc

We set the classroom up as a courtroom, my TA was the judge and we questioned (hot seated) key witnesses, including King Minos and Theseus himself. We then had a secret vote and discussed the result, was it fair? etc. It was interesting, most children changed their opinion of Theseus and now decided that maybe he wasn't a perfect hero after all.