1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5/6 French

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sarahocfc, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Hi...

I'm teaching French for Year 5/6 for PPA cover, but I have been given nothing for a starting point.

I know they have to start at the beginning, but I'm lacking inspiration on how to start, especially to hook them in and get them interested...

The Language itself isn't a problem for me, but just knowing how to start...

Obvious place is greetings and my name is etc...

Any ideas gratefully received.

Sarah :)

2. Hi Sara,

I also teach a lot of MFL as PPA cover.

You should start by looking at the new national curriculum to make sure you are covering what you should be. I konw it's not technically statutory until next year but there's no harm in getting a head start.

I would say lots of variety to keep them engaged, a healthy mix of:

Learning vocab - greetings, colours, clothing, body parts, days of the week etc

Basic phonics - discussion around silent consonants at the end of words etc

Simple sentence building by giving them the constituent parts and they play around with them, eg Dans notre ecole il y a ... or il y a xxxx dans notre ecole. Both written and oral.

Read kiddy books to them - use the visualiser to display them on the IWB to see, and encourage them to join in.

Intercultural understanding - have whole lessons with no language focus and look at videos on French school life, or bring in French food to taste and discuss, learn about French celebrations and customers etc.

LIstening to authentic French (Youtube etc is great) and listening out for specific words etc.

Good luck! I love teaching MFL in primary because the children love it, it's fun but useful and it's generally not scrutinised in the painful detail of some other subjects!

3. agreenmouse

agreenmouse Occasional commenter

4. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

You could have a look at what PPA cover agencies give as lesson plans for MFL, just google in PPA cover agencies .They sometimes give sample lesson plans on their sites They are matched to QCA/ NC requirements. I have just started working as a French PPA cover teacher in local primaries and my agency gives me lesson plans, resources /ideas ,CDs for my Year 3 classes.I have taught for 35 years in secondary and in primary/middle schools so I know what I am doing, but having my lesson plans and evaluations done for me is a big plus !

5. Alain le lait also has some good and funny songs on youtube for colours and numbers to 20

www.youtube.com/watch

www.youtube.com/watch

He has a website - www.yadeeda.com

Hope your children enjoy them, mine love to sing along.

6. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

I purchased his CDS and song books from Amazon a few weeks ago because you can use the songbooks, which are in French and English ,as a teaching resource, as they listen and sing the songs. I love his songs on Youtube and his videos, ` Avec un gros nez `,when Alain appears at the end with a big nose is hilarious ! I have used his songs for a while and all years love them , the Rastafarian worms doing numbers 1- 20 is a particular favourite ,as is the Bonjour greetings song with Year 3s.Enjoy along with your pupils !

7. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Hello Sarah,

If you haven't taught a language before, and if the children haven't studied a language before, a good place to start might be the Year 3 objectives of the Intercultural Understanding Strand of the KS2 Framework for Languages. (webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/.../key_stage_2_framework.aspx)

It will help you to put the language into context before you actually start the language itself:

IU 3.1 Learn about the different languages spoken by children in the school

? increase awareness of linguistic and cultural diversity.

IU 3.2 Locate country/countries where the language is spoken

? identify some of the countries where the language is spoken.

IU 3.3. Identify social conventions at home and in other cultures

? know some facts about one country, e.g. climate, main towns, famous

landmarks, produce.

I teach French to Y2-Y5, and I follow the MFL Sunderland scheme of work for KS2, which I supplement with some of my own resources. You can find it all here, for free - www.sunderlandschools.org/.../resources-primary.htm

8. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

I love all Sunderlandschools mfl resources and have used them for years . Their SOW is definitely the way to go. Try the` two little dickie birds` poem , my Year 3s love acting out the poem with the finger puppets.

It was great to meet you ,Geekie, at the Languages show and see your latest invention . I am one of your biggest fans .

9. Geekie

So we DID meet?

10. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

I was the` oldie` talking to the lady representing the company marketing your product, but we did share words re the `Two little dickie birds ` poem and finger puppets, but a friend of yours turned up, so it was a short chat !. I teach French to 4-16 year olds , in an independent school and in a state primary school ( Year 3s), so I frequently use a lot of your resources, Geekie. I love them all, from GCSE to KS1 ,so here is my big THANK YOU for your hard work and generosity in sharing it with the rest of us .Hope the new product does well for you.

11. Geekie

*now racking brains trying to remember*

Thank you so much for your kind words, curlyk