1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 5/6 classroom set-up

Discussion in 'Primary' started by academicallyblonde, Jul 23, 2015.

1. academicallyblonde

academicallyblonde New commenter

I was not really happy with the set up of my classroom last year so am looking to gain ideas and advice from more experienced teachers, particularly of Year 5/6, which is what I teach. What sorts of things do you usually have on your walls? What are your essential classroom resources/ materials? Any other top tips?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My main boards are based on the termly topic and next year I would like to have some Maths ans English 'working walls' with vocab and hints'n'tips'- just difficult in the set up in particular classroom.

I have a 'library' area in one corner, which I would like to develop next year with book reviews and work connected with the class novel.

I have sets of 30 cm rulers, compasses, protractors etc and I'm currently looking at checking I have numberlines, digit cards, tables grids etc in wallets for children to refer to. I would also like to develop a bank of 'Challenge activities' for the children for next year.

3. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

I work in a school with very clear cut expectations for displays: Lit and Num working walls (with the num incorporating Big Maths), a science board and a board celebrating diversity within the class - specifically any EAL. Storytelling language as we are a storytelling school. A display for school rules/class expectations. We are also expected to have an 'inviting' reading area. I also like to have a large world map and globes.

Resources: buddy boxes for literacy which contain VCOP aides, dictionaries & thesauruses, atlases, place value grids, numicon, base 10, dienes, number fans, dice, counters, protractors, mirrors, Cuisenaire.

4. I've got an extra large spare whiteboard in my class - long story! I've divided it and going to get the children to write their own targets up on one side and have the other as a working wall for the children to put up what they have learned/what they find useful etc. Because it is a whiteboard, I hope to change it more regularly than I did when it was a backed board. I've also got a small whiteboard that I use as a twitter board for the children to comment on topical items/questions although I'm gong to use it as a boggle board to start with. I've also got the usual maths/literacy/science displays and a science board. As you can tell, I particularly like the children to have ownership of their learning and classroom! :)