1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 to Year 1 - cant get used to it!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nqtworcester, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Such a drop in age - am sharing with another teacher so isnt very nice when i keep getting told all my work is too hard. Keep expecting far too much of them.

Tell me itll get better!

Knew id need a while to get into the swing of things but finding it so hard!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I did that - it's a very scary jump!! Some of them are so young and tiny. Definitely different to year 4.
    Get's better - small steps!!

3. I am having a similar problem having gone from year 6 to a 3/4 class. Half my class had no idea what I was rabbiting on about during my solids lesson today. I have been told it gets easier. I hope so LOL

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

HA! Try year 6 to year 2! Then come back to me and complain! No sympathy!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Just what I was thinking too!

My class have no clue at all, I had no idea that year 2 were so utterly ignorant of everything!

But I do feel for you...I'm just glad I'm not sharing my class at all. Would hate anyone to see the disasters. But yes it WILL get better!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Year 2 can know a lot. Whether it's anything to do with what you are teaching is completely different!! My son is in year 2 and the topic is animals. I'm dying to see what he learns as quite frankly I think he knows more about animals than me!!

7. Thanks all - JUST What i needed - forgot how needy the lil ones were - silly me tried to get them to ALL write 1 - 10 in the Numeracy book...at the same time! How stupid of me!

Think thats the worst bit, the other teacher watching me dying on my feet - a great teacher at that!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I asked my year 2 to write their name in the handwriting books, yes all at the same time. They do have handwriting books in year 1 that look identical to ours. But oh my goodness...disaster or what! You would never believe ANY of them had ever seen a 4 line handwriting book before!

I can imagine year 1s in a similar school writing numbers would be equally disastrous!

9. shocking

i darent even ask for the date!

10. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I remember dropping from Y5 to Y2 and on the first day I asked the class to write the date and learning intention in their books. I can just remember 30 pairs of eyes staring at me as if I had spoken to them in Japanese. I still laugh to myself when I think about it!!!