1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 stories that raise issues... help please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Raphella, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Raphella

Raphella New commenter

Hi,
    I am about to start planning this unit for next term, but I am at a loss as to where to start. Our topic is the environment/sustainability so it would be great to tie it to an issue surrounding that in some way? I guess there must be picture books that would be suitable, but all searches are drawing a blank!
    Does anyone know of any good texts I could use for my planning? All ideas gratefully recieved,
    Raphella

2. Leasa

Leasa New commenter

How about Window by Jeanie Baker? A good picture book which shows how the scene from a window can change over a period of time.

3. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Paper-Caper-Oliver-Jeffers/dp/0007182333/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293022723&sr=1-1

4. Dinosaurs and all that Rubbish - Michael Foreman

Book about how a man wants to visit the moon so he uses up all the natural resources to make his rocket, then when he gets to the moon the dinosaurs all wake up on earth and clean up. The man on the moon realises there is nothing there and goes back to earth. The dinosaurs say he has to look after earth now.
    Lots and lots of discussion points throughout the book. We use it in our Green Week.

Also like the opening of Wall-E, where he is digging through piles and piles of rubbish.

5. I'm doing a topic based on 'Running Wild' by Michael Morpurgo next term which has lots of environmental issues in it including natural disasters (tsunami, deforestation of the rainforest). I'm going to use this novel as a story which raises moral dilemmas. It also looks at hunting. You could just dip into it if you wanted or read it as a class novel.
    Hope this is helpful.

6. miss may

miss may New commenter

Peter's Place - not sure of the author. A lovely picture book about an oil spill from a tanker and how it affects a seaside town.

7. Granny Sarah and the Last Red Kite in Wales- Malachy Doyle
    Contains some Welsh words so perhaps not suitable for schools outside of Wales. Deals with the issue of conservation of rare species, reasons for their decline, and how they are protected.

8. Scaredy Squirrel is good for this too and links nicely with the environment. Scope too for covering lots of genres.